MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-17-2004, 01:50 AM   #1
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Default Close to starting

Hey guys. I tried cranking over my engine for the first time tonight. I'm pleased, but frustrated. Never actually ran, sputtered the first time I cranked it (probably turned one rotation by itself) Then cranked some more while I adjusted the fuel pressure. Then the third or fourth time cranking after adjusting timing to various locations it kicked and rotated about five or six rotations then quit. Sounded like only a couple cylinders were firing. I think I still have a lot of air in the fuel lines possibly or maybe the pressure was too high. I had it set at like 9 lbs at first. Smelled like gas so I turned it down and let it sit. Haven't cranked it with the lower pressure because it's 1 am and I have granny neighbors with the police station on speed dial. I know it's getting spark cause it fired a couple times like I said, you guys think just too rich due to high fuel pressure maybe? It did fire up through the intake once. Not like when the distributor is 180 degrees off. Is this normal? I've never run a carb before so I don't know what to expect. Thanks guys.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 08:54 AM   #2
andy669
Registered Member

Yeah, 9 is probably a little too much. I'd shoot for 7. It sounds timing related though. I'd advance the distributor alittle. I'm sure you'll get it to fire up.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

This may sound trivial, but check your wires make sure firing order is correct, wires are all good. If you checked them, check them again, then have a friend check them too. Sometimes its the simplest things. Also, is this a brand new carb?
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 10:48 AM   #4
420nitro
Registered Member

Like mentioned before take a break (you most likely did already...lol) but a friend w/some mech. experiance would be a great help. I always recommend a second set of eyes while trying to start the new combo, to check for obivous leaks and problems.

I would also check the firing order again (like mentioned before and having the fuel pressure 7 or less. (5-7.5 depending on carb.) (like mentioned before)

Did you check the carb. before installing it????
Set the mixtures screws???
Set the butterflies in the carb.????
Do you have a return style fuel sytem???..or dead head???
What type of carb. do you have?? and size??
Maybe I forgot, but did you say there were any noises or back- fire threw the carb. or exhust??
I don't want to sound like a pro or nothing when it comes to carbs becuse I am not, but these questions do help out when you answer them And any addtional answers about fuel and ignition would be great as well.
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:19 PM   #5
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Carb is a brand new Holley 650 mechanical choke and mechanical secondaries. Haven't messed with any adjustments, assumed that the factory settings would at least start the motor. No return in the fuel system. It was firing on at least one cylinder occasionally and sounded like multiple cylinders once. Backfired through the intake once after cranking. I thought it was because it was so rich and possibly turned backwards a little after cranking. But i don't know. I think maybe you're right, it may be a timing issue. I'm going to put a timing light on it and make sure it's getting spark and make sure it's in the right ballpark. I think it is though. Let me ask you guys a question. The ignition system is mechanical points type. The case of the coil is coated in plastic. Does it need to be grounded? Or does the high voltage side of the coil also ground through the points? Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:08 PM   #6
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by QuantumMotorsports
Carb is a brand new Holley 650 mechanical choke and mechanical secondaries. Haven't messed with any adjustments, assumed that the factory settings would at least start the motor. No return in the fuel system. It was firing on at least one cylinder occasionally and sounded like multiple cylinders once. Backfired through the intake once after cranking. I thought it was because it was so rich and possibly turned backwards a little after cranking. But i don't know. I think maybe you're right, it may be a timing issue. I'm going to put a timing light on it and make sure it's getting spark and make sure it's in the right ballpark. I think it is though. Let me ask you guys a question. The ignition system is mechanical points type. The case of the coil is coated in plastic. Does it need to be grounded? Or does the high voltage side of the coil also ground through the points? Anyway, thanks for the help guys.
As goes with the carb never assume anything,...check it for your self.
Generally you turn the mixtures screw in all the way, then turn them out 1.5 turns. Check the float level so it looks like its in the center.(front and rear bowls).(sight plugs help too) Check the transfer slot in the primaries side.(should look like a square in realtion to the throttle blade. The rear should be just off its seat. I would say with a Holley a good starting point would be 5.5 psi. of fuel pressure.
***These are just basic guildlines,...this should just start the car. You will most likely find a better tune once its running.***

Now you said points. You mean the type of points that require setting dwell and stuff???
If it is, check your gap and set according to suggested manufactures specs. (I would go to a msd personnally, for ease or even stock.)

Double check that you are on #1 cylinder compression stroke.

easy way is: spin the motor till the intake valve rocker (#1 cylinder) opens and then starts to close and look at your balancer and set dist. to fire at approx 10-20btc.

At that point you should be able to just prime the motor by hitting the excellater pump (primaries and seconderies) and crank the motor.
Once running or trying to run, play with accelater to keep it running while someone else sets timing. It would also be a good idea to have someone else which is doing nothing, just look for leaks.
(Thats my 8 year olds job )
Try that, if it still doesn't work let us know.
I would like to know how it turns out.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:21 PM   #7
420nitro
Registered Member

Oh yea, I am assuming you have a fuel filter on this thing too.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:57 PM   #8
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

I agree, with the msd ignition, or even stock. Why the points?
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 05:27 PM   #9
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

It sounds like the dist. is 180 off or the wrong firing order.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:38 AM   #10
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Points distributor: $35 from Autozone. One wire hookup. Just to get the thing running, easy, cheap. I didn't have any other distributor so I had to buy one anyway, figured i'd go with a cheap one that would be easy at first.

Anyway, I GOT THE THING STARTED!!!! WOOHOO! It sounds FUCKIN MEAN! Open long tubes is the *****!

Problem was a bad ground. The ground strap I had on it was connected to the starter bolt which goes into the bellhousing which isn't grounded to the block very well. So, I put the ground strap on the block it's self and then put a smaller strap on each head to the firewall. Fired right up after messing with the timing a bit.

I set the gap on the points, it was dead on straight out of the box. Didn't even mess with the carb. I had heard that Holley is really good about giving you a carb that will at the very least start the car out of the box.

MAN I AM PUMPED UP!!!! Now if I can get the brakes setup and a clutch cable I'll be golden.

1984 LX Hatch