MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #1
STR864
Registered Member

Default Overheat

Ok...this is my last problem....my 88 Fuel Injected 302 is running ok except for the overheating problem...just wanted to know if not having a MAF on the car if it can cause a problem with the overheating?? I know the car isn't getting the right air to gas mixture but don't know if that is the core of the problem?? or is it more than just that. I have an electrical fan on the outside of the radiator so it blows the air into the radiator and I also have an flex fan on the motor....thought this would keep it cold but I was HIGHLY wrong...please help with any info....thanks!
STR864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 09:15 PM   #2
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

how is your water pump? t-stat? air deflector still on there? antifreeze topped off? radiator condition? any mods? keep in mind the strock temp gauge is crap
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 03:02 AM   #3
STR864
Registered Member

ok...that is what I checked...I thought the water pump was new b/c when I bought the older motor the guy told me he had just put it on...I only put probably 800 miles on that motor before I bought this crate....now I ran the car without the radiator cap on it and it just sitting there and there was nooo circulation....in matter of fact it started to overflow a little bit.....someone also told me it could be because this year motor it needed a overflow tank so it could push out and take back in what it didn't need...so I also have one of those.....there is also no thermostat in it....I don't have air in my car so I figured a complete flow of water would do the motor just fine....
STR864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:44 AM   #4
95_MUSTANG_95
Registered Member

It is natural for your radiator to overflow with the cap off. As the fluid warms it expands, this is why the system is under pressure. For $40 to $50 get a Stator pressure tester and pressure test your radiator and cap. Of course the cap is cheap enough just to replace.
You fan operates at 2 speeds. Low speed and high speed. I replaced my fan motor after 155,000. It seized up. My symptoms were overheating in idle. The fan motor was intermittent. I happened to be watching on an occaision when it did not start. Like you I had a new water pump.
I believe my motor went as a result of years of operation with a bad thermostat.
The MAF would have nothing to do with engine temerature regulation. All it does is measure the volume of air entering the throttle air intake. This is used to compute air / fuel mixture ratios.