MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-31-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
Rev
Registered Member

Default Auburn Pro?

Well I just ordered a new Auburn Pro limited slip for my 8" Ford rear end. I bought it through Ebay from some outfit in NY. Hope it gets here OK.

Both Dan and 302 LX Eric seem to like their Auburn Pro. If anyone else has experience with them either good or bad, please comment. There's not really much out there for the 8" in limited slip.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 11:05 PM   #2
stang_racer20
Registered Member

I've heard from my college instructors(big race junkies as well) that Auburn diffs are junk. They, as well as many people I know, recommend Eaton diffs.
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 11:18 PM   #3
RPM427
Registered Member

a Zexel Torsen would be my pick.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:47 AM   #4
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Quote:
Originally posted by stang_racer20
I've heard from my college instructors(big race junkies as well) that Auburn diffs are junk. They, as well as many people I know, recommend Eaton diffs.
Elaborate please.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:00 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

Default None for the 8"

As far as I can tell, there aren't any Eatons or Torsens for the 8" Ford differential. The only things I've seen are the Ford Traction-Lock(that I'm replacing) and the Auburn Pro. That is it for limited slip.

Richmond does make the PowerTrax but only for the open differential carrier case in the 8" Ford differential. There's always the Detroit Locker but a factory rep told me "You will hear it and feel it every day if you use it on the street".

The main thing that worries me is the fact that Auburns are not rebuildable. They will do an exchange for about $150 if the unit is 4 years old or less. After 4 years, you can kiss it good bye if it wears out.

Thanks everyone for the input. All opinions are appreciated.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 06-03-2004, 11:17 PM   #6
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 302 LX Eric
Elaborate please.

E
Yea, I would like to hear this as well. I did alot of street racing with my Auburn Pro and now mainley just race the car at the race track. Rear end is 5 years old and still works great!!! So what's this stuff about,...them being junk???? confused: Specially when everyone I know either has a full spool or a Auburn Pro in there car.
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:22 PM   #7
420nitro
Registered Member

The only thing I remember is back in the day Summit said something about that the Auburn Posi units weren't recommended for cars running on slicks. But everyone was racing on slicks with them back then with very little issues if any!!!! Now they have the Auburn Pro....so maybe that guys instructors are just a little misinformed...or race ...maybe GM's??
Old 06-03-2004, 11:43 PM   #8
stang_racer20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 302 LX Eric
Elaborate please.

E
I cant elaborate, like I said, they werent even my opinions. I just thought I'd post anyways since they really do know their shit. Actually they are Dodge guys. One has a Hemi Cuda and one has a Suberbee w/ a 440 six pack. I, personally, have no opinions on aftermarket carriers cause I've never used one. Although I've never had and problems with the factory Ford 8.8" LS ones.

Rev, check out www.eatonposi.com, they have many differentials for the Ford 8.8". Never heard of Zexel Torsen until now.
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:01 AM   #9
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Quote:
Originally posted by stang_racer20
I cant elaborate, like I said, they werent even my opinions. I just thought I'd post anyways since they really do know their shit. Actually they are Dodge guys. One has a Hemi Cuda and one has a Suberbee w/ a 440 six pack. I, personally, have no opinions on aftermarket carriers cause I've never used one. Although I've never had and problems with the factory Ford 8.8" LS ones.

Rev, check out www.eatonposi.com, they have many differentials for the Ford 8.8". Never heard of Zexel Torsen until now.
That's cool. Thanks for responding.

Based on my experience with my own Auburn Pro (Excellent), and a couple of guys that I know personnally that I see at the track and through other Mustang 'buddies' who have them, they are pretty darn reliable units. Most of cars that I'm referring to are 11, 12 and 13 second cars. Definately not your Pro-5.0 variety, but soild street machines/track cars that run everything from street tires to full slicks. The main reason I was asking for you to elaborate was because I had researched differentials for my Mustang and the Auburn Pro always seemed to get high marks. There will always be that one horror story no matter what product you're dealing with.

I don't think Eaton makes a diff for Rev's 8" rear tough, so it sounds like he doesn't have alot of choices.

E
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:07 AM   #10
420nitro
Registered Member

Ok I generally dont like say much about how fast I go, due to street racing issues and stuff, but at this point I really don't care anymore do to new car coming out. Some people on here already have a good idea though. I run in the 10's on horsepower and then spray it. I have yet to have any problems with my posi unit! Now I do aspect to start, thats why I am looking at going with a Full spool. I don't know much of any one that runs any Posi unit in a deep 9 sec car with out any consequences. So for someone that is looking for a Auburn Pro for there street car should have no problems for long time. Just use good oil. But like anything else, if you misuse it,... nothing will last. I am sure I don't have to elabrate on mis-use either. Just make sure your oil is clean and set-up right. As goes for Stang Racer 20...being that your instructors have Mopars and most likly a Dana rear-end...maybe Auburn has issues for those rear-ends? As goes for the Fords with the 8.8,7.5 & the 8 inch I honestly don't think there is any problems. Now I am sure that with all the carriers they put out every day that sooner or later someone will have a bad one...but most people don't.
My .02's
Old 06-05-2004, 12:24 PM   #11
erl2589
Registered Member

I started with the Auburn HD and it didn't last, I drove around one legged until I found out about their rebuild program. By that time it was over 4 years old but they still took care of me! Even let me upgrade to the pro for a small charge. They were really cool and I've had no problems since.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:33 PM   #12
Rev
Registered Member

Default It's in

I did install an Auburn Pro in my 8". I did it all myself except for pressing new end bearings on the new carrier. That had to be done at the local differential shop. They weren't exactly thrilled that I bought the Auburn Pro off Ebay at a $70 savings from them, and then asked them to press on new bearings. They were nice enough about it though and did sell me the new bearings and press work fee ($37.50)

Everything works perfectly so far. Two black stripes when I nail it now. I''m happy with it all. Thanks to all who responded to thiis thread.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 06-26-2004, 03:56 PM   #13
420nitro
Registered Member

No problem....did you guys hear that now, Auburn has a Posi that will now except 33 spline axles for the 8.8!!!! (Auburn PRO)

Sounds like I know whats starting my winter project list...
Old 06-27-2004, 06:46 AM   #14
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Like Eric said:

Quote:
Most of cars that I'm referring to are 11, 12 and 13 second cars. Definately not your Pro-5.0 variety, but soild street machines/track cars that run everything from street tires to full slicks.
I have experience with a handful of solid street machines. All the Ford guys have the luxury of "options" because we're all running the 8.8" Most of the GM guys I know already swapped out their rears for a Chrysler 8.75" unit, so they also have "options". Oddly enough even with a choice some of them still went with the Auburn unit, and like someone else said (I think 420nitro) the only problems I've seen were self induced, random stupidity type stuff. Keep an eye on the oil level, and use synthetic IF Auburn says you can. I've seen an Auburn in a BIG GM car drive the turnpike for 2 hours, bolt on slicks, run 10's, change tires, and drive home.

I guess what I'm shooting at here is this. You really didn't have much choice, so even if the Auburn IS junk (which it isn't), isn't it still better than what you had?

Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:04 AM   #15
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Rev, please keep me us informed with how you like it. I am in the same boat u were....my Posi is still working decently, but I am not thrilled with it.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote