MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-15-2004, 04:25 PM   #1
nostical
Registered Member

Unhappy Car cranks but wont start, HELP!!!!

I have read some other posts in the forum that have helped just wanted to see if anyone had additional information. Here is the problem: 1992 LX 5.0, Was coming home from work and stopped at a light, the engine died, pushed it out of the road, went back in a few hours, car cranked enough to get it home then shut off. Now it will not crank at all. When I turn the key on and wait about 30 seconds, the fuel pump comes on and will not turn off until I shut the key off. The funning thing is, I here the fuel rushing around the fire wall, but my pressure gauge is not moving. Oh yea, I checked the inertia switch and it is fine. Going to change the fuel pump relay tonight.

Does anyone know where the fuel pump relay and EEC relay are on a 1992. I do not think they are under the seat. Looks like there are two relays below the MAF sensor.

Any information is much appreciated. I have not had a problem I could not fix yet, that is with the help of these forums. Hoping this one will not beat me. Thanks
nostical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:44 PM   #2
LX5liter
dude5l

The relay is one of the ones underneath the MAF. Maybe your fuel pressure regulator is bad, that would explain the no pressure symptom, even though you can hear the fuel. My guess would be to start there. When you say it won't crank do you mean it won't turn over when you twist the key? Or do you mean it won't start?

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
nostical
Registered Member

The car is turning over fine. I have checked the spark, almost 100% sure it is the fuel. Fuel pump comes on when it is hotwired. Interesting thing happen last night. I went to replace the fuel pump relay, which the parts guy had given me the wrong relay. Had the key in the ON position, did not hear the fuel pump turn on. Got out of the car, still 0 fuel pressure. Thumped the relay and the fuel pump came on, the fuel pressure increased until it reached 40psi, then I started to hear the gushing sound. Fuel pump never shut off until I turned the key off. And the car still would not start. I was worried it was the EEC, but I did see the check engine light come on while I was cranking the car. So I hope it is alright. I will get the correct relay from Ford today and see if that fixes it. Any other idea's?
nostical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:30 AM   #4
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

don't rule out your Ecc.. it sounds like its screwing up.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote