MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Default BBK Gaskets suck

I put these headers on my car 4 months ago. They are 1 3/4" primary 351swap longtubes. I used the suppied gaskets, naturally. Look at how the drivers side blew. The gasket didn't look as if it even had any metal in it. It was made in layers and it blew one layer out. What do you suggest I go back with, fel pro 1415? I got stock D0OE heads on it for now and by the time I get around to putting the AFR's on it, I will probably need some more. With the big primaries, would you use a stock gasket?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gasket1.jpg (113.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-03-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
Ieatcamaros

Close up of the blown side. And you can see the size of the primaries in this picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cylinder8.jpg (137.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-03-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

you need bbk copper gaskets.. paper gaslets suck... make sure the header flange isn't warped and torqued down evenly. looks like it wasn't tight enough. but get a good set of copper gaskets.. they work great.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:09 PM   #4
Ieatcamaros

Well, it might not have been tight enough. You know how those header bolts are. I check them every other time I drive it. Which is not much now that I have a 4cyl ranger for a beater. Anyway, the hex on the bolts is 3/8". On some of the bolts, you can't get a socket on there, you have to use a wrench. I tightened them about as tight as I could with a wrench. I checked the flanges when I got the headers in the mail. They were straight. It would be nice if I could have put the headers on and then put the motor in. Do you have a part number handy for those copper gaskets?
Old 08-03-2004, 07:24 PM   #5
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Mr. Gasket ultra seal, get 'em at Autozone, or Advance. Work great, but ya gotta watch those bolts bro.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:24 PM   #6
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

http://www.mustangwarehouse.com/mustang_1.mvc?p=3251

copper header gaskets

22.99.. local guys here, great people. they work great.. let me know.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:38 PM   #7
Ieatcamaros

That link says no picture is available. Are those gaskets embossed around the chamber to help sealing? Like the SCE gaskets I was looking at on Summit? SCE-4036 at summit Do they have square holes in them? I am asking cause my headers are oval shaped and with them being square and embossed, I wonder if they would seal right. I am trying to find some flat copper gaskets. If I can't find them, I guess I will be using felpro 1415 or the mr gasket 5930 like the jester mentioned. I just hate having to tighten the damn bolts all the time. But, that is part of it. Thanks for the help.
BTW, is that Rochester NY where you live?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:01 PM   #8
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

I heard that those new Breslin lock bolts work really well. (Summit part #BPP-200-077) but haven't seen them in person yet. I've had fantastic luck with the Mr. Gasket's, but you gotta keep after the header bolts. I check them (even built a special wrench for the middle ones) after 3 rounds, and before we head home.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:13 PM   #9
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

those gaskets have a raised copper face around the oval sealing. they fit well with my MAC headers and BBK headers. They will seal fine with what you have.. They withstand way more heat than the paper ones. I have never had them leak on me so far.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:56 PM   #10
82 GT
Import Slayer

I'm using Mr. Gasket's with my shorties now and they seem to work well.
I don't know if this makes a difference or not but I soaked my gaskets in water and then put them on. I've heard it seals the headers better. I don't know if that's true or not.
My next set will be copper ones though.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote