MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-06-2004, 08:08 PM   #1
KHC
Registered Member

Question buzzing fuel pump?

I have a loud hum/buzz coming from the rear of the car and I'm assuming its the fuel pump. Does this happen before they burn out? Is it something else?. The car is a stock 89. If it is the pump whats a good replacement.

Kevin.
KHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 08:45 PM   #2
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

If you can hear the fuel pump roaring pretty loud, then she don't have much life left. I you plan on doing some engine mods to the car, then I would go ahead and put in a 190lph aftermarket pump. But I would also put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on it too. If it is going to be a long time before you do any heavy engine mods, then put a stock replacement in there for now. You need the practice at pulling the tank anyway. I have done it so many times, I can do the whole job in a little over 1 hour now. Anyway, if it just started doing this, you can drive it for awhile before it actually quits on you. Mine did that and I drove it for nearly 6 months before it took a dump on me. Of course, it was at the most inopportune time too. So I would change it asap.

Oh yeah, to make sure it is the pump, start the car and put your ear on the filler neck door. But I know for sure that is what it is.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

Mine does it on my '88 but only when the tank is almost empty
When the tank is full or almost full, I have to really listen for it.
Is this normal or is mine on the way out too?
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 11:22 AM   #4
429mustang
Registered Member

mine's loud all the time, it's been that way since january when I bought it. It makes kind of a highpitched humming noise and never changes.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:01 PM   #5
KHC
Registered Member

Thumbs up fuel pump

thanks for the info, better get a new one soon, its been buzzing for awhile. Will just go stock for now, don't expect any extreme mods in the near future......$$$brakes and tires first$$$
Old 08-07-2004, 10:28 PM   #6
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Hey 82, if you really have to listen for it, it is not about to go. See, I don't hear worth a sh1t. If I can hear the fuel pump over some turn downs, I know it is about to go. Some people with this super hearing, as I call it, can probably hear it really good when it is normal. The best way to tell is to turn the key on and listen for the pump to kick on. Get the idea of what normal sounds like. Then when you notice it gets louder and louder, it is about to go. Or when it takes exceptionally long to build up the pressure before you start the car. One more thing, it gets louder inside the car when you remove the back seats too.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:01 PM   #7
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Mine has been doing it since I got the car almost 4 years ago. I have never had a problem with fuel delivery. I had an o/r x pipe and dumped flows, and I could still hear it like it was in my lap screaming.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:30 PM   #8
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

Mine made sounds for about a year before i had problems, however it did cause random drivablity issues. Also, keep in mind a clogged fuel filter will cause the load on the pump to get high and make it work harder. Usually though, if the pump is making un usual sounds, its on its way out and should be replaced before you get stuck somewhere. Now if you plan on doing mods, you'll need better than a stock pump.. The BBk's are great. I ran a 255lph pump on a stock motor for over a year with no problems.. I used the " buy once " methode. a 190lph is good to. either way upgrade it from stock regardless... you'll be happy you did.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 06:07 PM   #9
KHC
Registered Member

Alright, 88fivepointoh you said to upgrade regardless, is your reason so I won't have to do it again in the future?, because really not sure when/if I'll get at the engine. Also what type of engine mods would require a larger fuel pump?

Also, concerning random drivability issues....what are those? I've noticed my car idles a bit ruff and when running in 2nd at a constant rate of speed it almost feels as though its slowing and speeding up, only its such small amounts it could be my imagination. Perhaps this is pump related.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:28 PM   #10
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

ok, the stock pumps are not so great, I do recommend going in there once rather than multiple times just cause its a hassle to keep doing. Engine mods like, heads, nos, any power adders etc would need a upgrade... if you don't plan on making major mods or anything in the near furture at all, then go with a 155 or a 190.. the stock size, has issues with starvation, which also it sound like your experiencing already do to failure. you won't do any harm in upgrading to a hi volume pump. you'll just be in better shape for the future.. in your case, a 190lph would be great. A adjustable regulator and gauge would be a great compliment to get the most out of your motor and for fine tuning.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 06:44 PM   #11
KHC
Registered Member

Smile

awesome. thanks very much.

Kevin.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:47 PM   #12
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

not a problem kevin...