MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-04-2001, 09:49 PM   #1
StreetStang37
Registered Member

Post Cobra Rear Bumper

I'm thinking of buying the Cobra bumper. I was just wondering how difficult is it to remove and install the bumper by my self (if possible) or wondering how much do you guys think they'll charge at a body shop for that. THX.

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air & Pullies, K&N, C&L 73mm MAF, Edelbrock 65mm TB & EGR, 3.73 Gears, 1 5/8in. Super Comp Hooker Equal Length Headers, 2 1/2in. High Flow H-Pipe & 2 1/2in. Flowmaster Cat Back, FlowTech Cut-Outs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 16* Timing Advance, 8.5mm MSD Super Cunductor Plug Wires, Romoved front Sway Bar, Nitto DragRadial, Pro-Shift Lite, LX lights
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 10:35 PM   #2
todd95GT
Registered Member

I changed bumpers on the '99 I had. It was very simple and didn't take a whole lot of time, either. I don't recall the entire process which was probably different than it is on your body style anyway. However, it's nothing that can't be done by someone who is handy with a set of common hand tools. Buy the Chilton's or Hayne's book; they show how to remove it step by step. Let us know how it goes. A body shop would probably charge two hours labor to do it. That's not including paint if needed. Here in Florida, that comes out to about 60 or 70 bucks. Could be worth it if you have the cash around but if you're like me, you'll do it yourself for the experience anyway.

------------------
Todd
1995GT Cobra look-alike
pulleys; Flowmaster cat-back; 65mm TB; Cobra R's, front, and wing; FMS aluminum driveshaft
todd95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 01:30 AM   #3
StreetStang37
Registered Member

Did you have to remove the cat-back (probably a stupid question) Im going to attempt it just didn't want to try something that was a pro job only.

For someone with a 87-93 GT, would the stock pipes work with that bumper for a while untill I get some proper pipeing? Will an LX cat back work with that? THX.

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air & Pullies, K&N, C&L 73mm MAF, Edelbrock 65mm TB & EGR, 3.73 Gears, 1 5/8in. Super Comp Hooker Equal Length Headers, 2 1/2in. High Flow H-Pipe & 2 1/2in. Flowmaster Cat Back, FlowTech Cut-Outs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 16* Timing Advance, 8.5mm MSD Super Cunductor Plug Wires, Romoved front Sway Bar, Nitto DragRadial, Pro-Shift Lite, LX lights
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 02:52 AM   #4
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I have GT pipes on my LX if you want to see what it would look like on your car (of course your car would look much better, but that's another story... )
LX pipes will fit perfectly with the Cobra rear bumper.

------------------
previous name: 84stangLX
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 09:12 AM   #5
RMARIANI
Registered Member

I installed the '93 Cobra rear bumper on my '89 GT a few years ago. I bought it at a Ford dealership as the aftermarkets weren't available yet. I changed my tailpipes at the same time since I needed a new exhaust anyway. I bought the Flowmaster kit for the LX. It fit fine. The only difference in mounting the bumper are the unique bottom brackets on the steel inner bumper. I'm not sure if the aftermarket covers are designed to utilize the GT brackets. I made my own at the time and this summer I bought a real '93 inner bumper w/the correct brackets off of a burnt car. Just like anything else, remove your old cover and install the new cover in reverse order. Its pretty straight forward with no real surprises. Good luck.
RMARIANI is offline   Reply With Quote