MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-24-2004, 10:57 AM   #1
Desperado
Registered Member

Default What is the performance difference ?

what is the performance difference between equal length shorties and regular shorties as far as performance goes?

just trying to get some more hp from this 86 gt.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:07 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Equal lengths outflow un equal lengths by a small margin.

When I say a small margin, I mean small
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

If you want max. HP gain then I would go with a setr of long tube headers.
If you're already set on buying shorties, then I would recommend the unequal length headers because getting to the header bolts will be much easier.(or is it the plugs?)
I forget now but getting to one of those will be a bitch to get to with the equal length.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:05 PM   #4
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Quote:
Originally posted by 82 GT
If you want max. HP gain then I would go with a setr of long tube headers.
If you're already set on buying shorties, then I would recommend the unequal length headers because getting to the header bolts will be much easier.(or is it the plugs?)
I forget now but getting to one of those will be a bitch to get to with the equal length.
i think getting to the plugs on the passenger side with equal shorties will be a pain in the @ss
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:06 PM   #5
XR1stang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GhettoPop
i think getting to the plugs on the passenger side with equal shorties will be a pain in the @ss
I think you are entirely correct
Old 08-24-2004, 03:07 PM   #6
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

I had bought equal length shorties and ran them for a year, had nothing but problems with plug wires burning and installation was a B*tch. Not worth the hassle, I got rid of them and went with MAC ceramic coated unequals.. I didn't see a single power difference or mileage, and they look great either way and plugs fit nice and wires don't burn. Definetly screw the equals.. Not worth the hassle.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:15 AM   #7
crazypete
Registered Member

I like my equals and while they did change the exhaust tone a tad bit, I cannot say that the performance changed any. I occasionally toast a wire before I tied them together and the passenger side plugs require some acrobatics to get in but nothing spectacular. How often does one change plugs anyway? Not often enough for that extra 2 minutes for the 2 trouble plugs on one side to really matter _that_ much. A tiny performance gain is still a gain.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote