MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-14-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

Default Need help, how to remove distributor gear?

I am going to take the the gear off of the 88 dist and put it on my 84 vaccum advance dist, just so I know the drive gear matches the cam. I can get the pin out, but how do you remove the gear. Is it threaded? Pressed on?
5.0 Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:12 PM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

It's just stuck. They drill the hole with the gear on the ditsy, and sometimes that leaves a very small burr. Just lightly tap on the gear with a plastic or rubber hammer, it'll come right off.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

I just looked at it again, it looks like it is treaded on, (I tried using vice grips on the gear and f#@^&d it up (it's ok, it's the 84 gear). So It should slide off, or it is indeed threaded?
Old 09-15-2004, 06:44 AM   #4
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

It should slide right off. One thing to remember though, like I said each gear/ditsy is drilled after it's put together. This means that the hole in the new gear might not line up with the hole in the 84 ditsy. You can make it fit if you need to though, not a critical area of your engine swap.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:05 AM   #5
crazypete
Registered Member

I use a wide screwdriver and a hammer and GENTLE taps. If it doesnt go, Torch it then repeat. A jaws type valvespring compressor (if you get 1 with enough reach) will help you out here.

If it makes you feel better, dude, I broke both gears trying to get mine off and had to get the FMS replacement gear. It doesnt have the hole so my machinist had to eyeball it and drill. Luckily it worked.

To install, tap down with a deep socket over the gear. I was such a dunce, I install my first gear upside down and had to have to pressed off! Make sure your gear hole and the shaft hole
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:11 PM   #6
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

Sounds like a lot of bad things just waiting to happen to me, lol! What kind of auto stores can I take the dists' to for the swap? (I dont have the money if I screw the gear, and dist. up, it will be inspection time soon).
Old 09-15-2004, 07:30 PM   #7
crazypete
Registered Member

Any machine shop should do it. Cost me all of 20 bucks to have 1 pulled off and 1 pressed back on with the new pilot hole drilled.

Good Luck!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote