MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-23-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
Jay_Singh
Registered Member

Thumbs up Newbie from London, need help!

Hi guys, great site you have here! Im from England and aint so clue'd up on the windsor engines....

I recently got hold of a 351 engine and i was after tech write-ups on rebuilding it? i havent really worked on many blocks in the past but i would say im quite confident, with a bit of help, i should be ok.

The engines going to mounted in a lamborghini replica so i was hoping to learn how to srtip, modify and rebuild it basically. At the moment i dont have anything to go by, only a haynes manual, which doesnt really got into great detail etc.

Another point was that im hoping to mount a power steering and an A/C pump on it. is it possible to do both on this specific engine?

I do appologise in advance for asking such pirimitive questions! But would be extremely grateful if anybody could help me out here....

Thank you
Jay
Jay_Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Default Re: Newbie from London, need help!

Well, if you've ever rebuilt a gasoline engine before, this one should be no different. It would require a boat load of typing to go into great detail on what to do, what to look for, and most importantly, what not to do. If you have never rebuilt a gasoline engine, I would suggest you get the book How to Rebuild your small block ford. I think that is the correct name for it. This would tell you how to rebuild that 351 you have, assuming that it is a 351 Windsor you're talking about. On another note, yes you can put power steering and air conditioning on these motors. You would need to figure from the start if you are going to use a serpentine belt or use v-belts. You can find most everything you would need on ebay and the classifieds section in some of these mustang sites. Don't forget about the alternator.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
Ieatcamaros

Summit has this book for sale. You can also get it from amazon.com too. Amazon You shouldn't have any trouble getting it shipped to London.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Jay_Singh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieatcamaros
Well, if you've ever rebuilt a gasoline engine before, this one should be no different. It would require a boat load of typing to go into great detail on what to do, what to look for, and most importantly, what not to do. If you have never rebuilt a gasoline engine, I would suggest you get the book How to Rebuild your small block ford. I think that is the correct name for it. This would tell you how to rebuild that 351 you have, assuming that it is a 351 Windsor you're talking about. On another note, yes you can put power steering and air conditioning on these motors. You would need to figure from the start if you are going to use a serpentine belt or use v-belts. You can find most everything you would need on ebay and the classifieds section in some of these mustang sites. Don't forget about the alternator.
Cool, thanks for replying...i did actually order that same book from amazon and it is very good. Do you know if anyone has got any detailed rebuilds with decent pics on the forum?

Also would be grateful if someone could give me precise information on what mods i should do it to obtain substantial power increase for £1.5k (approx $2.7k)..

thank you
Jay
Old 01-24-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
Ieatcamaros

I have not seen any decent rebuild write-ups with detailed pics on any of the forums that I visit. But I haven't been looking either. There are enough intelligent people on this board who can answer any of your questions you may have along the way though. Will you be keeping this car fuel injected or will you be using a carburetor? If it were me and I had $2700 (US) to spend, I would build the 351 with 10.5-11.5:1 compression, top it off with AFR 185cc heads, get a custom ground cam, use edelbrock's victor jr intake, and a 750 Holley carburetor. Or you could opt to build a stroker out of it and put some even bigger heads on it. A 393 or a 408 are among the most common 351 based strokers. Is it a 351 Windsor you are using? If you're not sure, count the valve cover bolts and post the number.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:42 AM   #6
Jay_Singh
Registered Member

Hi, yep! its def a 351 windsor! and its already carb'd....

i would absolutely love to do these mods but i think the main prob im gonna have its customising here in the UK, getting hold of parts is gonna be a nightmare!

With regards to the carb, i havent really done that much research but whenever i have i keep stumbling over the common weber, i know it'll be easier to get here in the uk. But at some point i will be writing up an early xmas list to ship some stuff from you guys on the other side of the ocean!

It would be great if there were people like you guys here, closer to me in the UK! there's sooo much stuff i would like to know and do....i used to own a 300ZX until it recently got written off but even then it was you guys in the states that were renouned to having the best modded 300's around on our uk forum.....
Old 01-25-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
andy669
Registered Member

Quote:
There are enough intelligent people on this board who can answer any of your questions you may have along the way though.
Yeah, I agree with this totally.

Follow this link. These guys ship parts all over the world. They've shipped S-10 V8 conversion stuff as far as Japan. They are honest, and if you tell them Andy sent you there, they will definately take care of you. I dont work there, but they are close to me, and are good friends of mine.

As far as a $2700 rebuild goes: It might depend on the horsepower you want to make, and how 'good' you want the engine to look. You can spend a ton of money just dressing an engine up.

Sounds like an awesome project though! Hopefully we can help out.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:42 AM   #8
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Summit has this book for sale. You can also get it from amazon.com too. Amazon You shouldn't have any trouble getting it shipped to London.
ALL HAIL TOM MONROE!, LOL.
On the carb note, Wow, I hate to admit it, but I didn't know Weber made traditional 4-Vs. I always think of them with either bikes, exotics or antiques/rods. Mental blindspot, I guess.
For the money you have, I would go the stroker route personally, but in your case, i.e. for a lambo replica, maybe a high rev setup would be more "authentic" as far as attitute/sound, depends on taste.

Whats the aftermarket like there? Seems like the bigger companys would already have some kind of toehold. Besides, worst case scenario, have someone private ship it to you<g>
(Disclaimer: This statement made with a Monstrous lack of knowlege regarding international shipping laws.)
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:46 PM   #9
Jay_Singh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedBanshees93GT
ALL HAIL TOM MONROE!, LOL.
On the carb note, Wow, I hate to admit it, but I didn't know Weber made traditional 4-Vs. I always think of them with either bikes, exotics or antiques/rods. Mental blindspot, I guess.
For the money you have, I would go the stroker route personally, but in your case, i.e. for a lambo replica, maybe a high rev setup would be more "authentic" as far as attitute/sound, depends on taste.

Whats the aftermarket like there? Seems like the bigger companys would already have some kind of toehold. Besides, worst case scenario, have someone private ship it to you<g>
(Disclaimer: This statement made with a Monstrous lack of knowlege regarding international shipping laws.)
lol emmm i have no idea what your talking about but it does sound great lmfao!!

your idea about the high revs sounds cool, being a replica, i dont want it to go like one! would like it sound like a V12, unlike some of the fiero engines many replicas have!!! eating dust of a 2.0ltr car isnt my idea of a fast car! its def not just about the looks with me, the baby's got to have some REAL power for sure. Which is why i have this engine......
----
and thanks for the info andy, could you tell me a bit more about the stroker route, indicates changing the heads, but what does 'stroker' mean? apologies again guys, im not so knowledgable with some of these terms..... oh and as for the looks i dont think il spend very much at all in my case. This is mainly due to possibly having some sort of lambo cover over it.... i know a little dissapointing as these engines are by no means anything to be ashamed of, very much the opposite! but i want to try replicating the car as close to the original as poss....
Old 01-25-2005, 10:35 PM   #10
Ieatcamaros

Stroker means making more stroke within the same block. A stock 351w has a stroke of 3.500 inches. A 393 stroker uses a 3.850 crank. Now if you use stock rods and stock pistons, you're gonna have trouble, obviously. What they do is use a different length rod and move the wrist pin up further into the piston (damn near in the ring lands in some cases). But in a 393's case, you can use stock 351 rods and 302 pistons. This is because 302 pistons are shorter. This is just a nutshell version of it to make sense. Although, I may have confused you even more.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:28 AM   #11
Jay_Singh
Registered Member

Quote:
Stroker means making more stroke within the same block. A stock 351w has a stroke of 3.500 inches. A 393 stroker uses a 3.850 crank. Now if you use stock rods and stock pistons, you're gonna have trouble, obviously. What they do is use a different length rod and move the wrist pin up further into the piston (damn near in the ring lands in some cases). But in a 393's case, you can use stock 351 rods and 302 pistons. This is because 302 pistons are shorter. This is just a nutshell version of it to make sense. Although, I may have confused you even more.
Great, got ya! totally makes sense.... im off to work guys! if anyone has any more suggestions, throw em in guys!......

cheers
jay