MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-25-2005, 08:54 AM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default msd 6 install questions

installing an msd 6a and blaster ss coil in car in sig. i want to mount it on the driver's side fender brace behind the battery, on that 6 inch piece of metal with two 8mm bolts on it, on the front driver's side near the horn. is this a good spot or can water be a problem here?

questions for the electrical hookup for the msd:
large red wire = (+)batt terminal or (+)starter solenoid? which is better?
large black wire = (-)batt terminal or ground elsewhere? which is better?
orange = (+)coil
black = (-)coil
red = switched 12V source, whats a good source?
white trigger wire = whats a good source?

any specific wires that are good to tap into would be a big help

magnetic triggers:
violet
green

i know that i dont need to use the magnetic triggers, but i wanted to set up a kill switch for the msd. can i simply extend the violet wire, attach to a switch, then from the other end of the switch run a grounded wire? when the switch is open and the msd's violet wire is grounded. i believe this will safey disable the msd, causing the car not to start. make sense? can this cause problems?
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
Zack87GT
Registered Member

Default Re: msd 6 install questions

well for the kill switch.. i ran the large red wire to a switch , then from the switch to my positive battery terminal i f i remember correctly... this way the switch has to be on to allow power to the box.. but i am sure there is other ways of doing it.
Zack87GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack87GT
well for the kill switch.. i ran the large red wire to a switch , then from the switch to my positive battery terminal i f i remember correctly... this way the switch has to be on to allow power to the box.. but i am sure there is other ways of doing it.
i thought about that too, but was concerned that a switch might fail due to the larger amount current going though that wire
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
Old 02-25-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

This is where mine is installed:

I DO plan on cleaning up the wiring someday. To me, it does not seem like a good idea to install it in the inner fenderwell.

questions for the electrical hookup for the msd:
large red wire = (+)batt terminal or (+)starter solenoid? which is better? I used Starter solenoid
large black wire = (-)batt terminal or ground elsewhere? which is better? I gounded elsewhere

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:37 PM   #5
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

violet and green go to your distributor. If you want a kill switch, just ground the white wire, no spark. I wouldn't run either the violet or green through a switch, keep those as short as possible.

Source for the small red wire is your ignition switch. When the key's on, find a hot wire and tap into that.

Run the big red through a fuse to either the solenoid or the battery, not much difference there.

Big Black goes to a good ground, again doesn't really matter where.

MAKE SURE you mount that box with the rubber isolators that came with it. It'll fry soon if you don't.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~The Jester~
violet and green go to your distributor. If you want a kill switch, just ground the white wire, no spark. I wouldn't run either the violet or green through a switch, keep those as short as possible.

Source for the small red wire is your ignition switch. When the key's on, find a hot wire and tap into that.

Run the big red through a fuse to either the solenoid or the battery, not much difference there.

Big Black goes to a good ground, again doesn't really matter where.

MAKE SURE you mount that box with the rubber isolators that came with it. It'll fry soon if you don't.
u sure about the violet and green to the stock distributor? i was almost certian i had to use the white wire...........

how large of a fuse should i put inline with the red power wire?

guess i need to make some isolators, cuz i dont have any........
Old 02-25-2005, 07:01 PM   #7
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

FWIW, in my 1989 gt I used the red with light green stripe as a switched 12v source. It is in the gray plug by the master cylinder. I used one of the blue splice connectors to make the connection. I second Jester about the pickup wires. Do not use the white wire. I can't tell you exactly which wires to tap into at the distributor though. You can look at some wiring diagrams on MSD's site if that helps.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:21 PM   #8
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Absolutely 100% for sure violet and green go to the distributor. Also 100% the white wire isn't used in your application. But, if you ground it you'll have no spark. Instant anti-theft switch.

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6%20series/pdf17.pdf

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:13 AM   #9
wayne94mustang
Registered Member

i mounted mine under the pass side seat........i whent for the clean look
94gt q1a k-member,kyb ajustable struts,02 brakes(front),89 mark 7 rear 3.90s,31 spline mosor axles,mega bite jr lowers,boxed uppers,frame ties,c/c plates,comp extrem cam,1.7 rollers,ford racing headers,orr road h,flowmaster tails,24# injecters,pro-m bullit,mac cai,ported stock heads and intake,stand alone tranny computer,2600 stall,transgo shift kit,1999 tranny upgrade and extra clutches,pih kit(a9p computer), and all the little bolt ons
wayne94mustang is offline   Reply With Quote