MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
yellow95stang
Registered Member

Default emissions cheats?

any body have any tips for passing a 95 gt, I just bought it and am new to efi cars. I took the test about a month ago and was a little high. (had already changed gave a tune up) I took it back 2 days ago after puting fuel injector cleaner in the tank and ran it two half a tank of gas. I took it through and failed miserably. ( a lot higher than the 1st time). Next, i changed th 02 snesors and ran a can of carb cleaner throught the tb. I took it through to day and it still failed (a litter lower though). Could the injector cleaner in the tank affected the reading?
Any one have any tips for passing. I read that lowering the timing to 10 and running it hot might help. (unplug the fans?) also if i just unplugh the timing plug will this make it 10 degrees. (Timing this car looks like a pain.) I also read about putting alchol and a lower rating gas, like 87 octane. Any help is much appriciated.

ps i have stock exhaust except flowmasters and all smog equip.

thanks - Rob
yellow95stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Default Re: emissions cheats?

Did you do the tune up or did the previous owner do it? I don't know any special tricks to tell you to help pass emissions. I don't have to do that where I live. The reason I ask about the tune up is the spark plugs. What brand and what did you gap them at (if you did the tune up)? If you didn't do the tune up, I would check the plug gaps. And I would also put the timing back on 10*. Do you have a timing light?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
yellow95stang
Registered Member

i did the tune up. gaped them to spec. I could time the einginge in a snap IF there wans't so musch stuff in the way. the timing pointer looks like its completley blocked.
yellow95stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:44 AM   #4
smokedchevy
Registered Member

A hot engine will burn cleaner than a cold one. You want the engine to get as hot as possible. This will make the cats get really hot. If your timing is more than ten degrees the car will fail. My car failed and then I realized it was set at 12 degrees. After backing it back down to 10 and getting the motor super hot, it passed quite easily.
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters

65 Mustang 13.50 107mph 3000' ALt.

65 Falcon Straight Axle Drag Car
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:28 AM   #5
tarmon8r
Registered Member

The hotter the motor gets, the lower the emissions. That is why the factory puts in such a high degree thermostat. And why it is recommended to drop in a colder one for performance applications. You can also get some emissions stuff to put in the gas tank. I think BG offers something of the sort. Definetly bump the timing back to 10 degrees. Those two things right there will do wonders for you. Get it as hot as you can!! of course, without over heating it.
1983 mustang, 393 cubic inch stroker small block, victor jr heads and intake, gold race 1.6 roller rockers. comp cam 304, 244@ .050. .576" hydralic retro roller cam,lunati rods. block was o-ringed,10:1 forged pistons, speed pro fit fit rings, clevite bearings,msd distributor and igniton,be cool huge radiator, black lite electric fan, march underdrive pulleys, mildon deep sump oil pan, mac 1 3.4" long tube headers, 3" dr gas x-pipe and mac exhaust,ARP bolts. car weighs 2900 lbs w/out driver, sub frames, weld wheels, mickey thompson sportsman pro 26 x 10.5 x 15's,#8 fuel line steel braided
tarmon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
bmxmon
Registered Member

Its gotta suck getting tested for that crap. The only thing they test for up here is to make sure that your not running the wrong color gas (the gas for "farm use only" which is cheaper) I have never seen them actually do the test though.
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote