MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-08-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
Fulcrum
Registered Member

Default Texas safty inspections

Am I going to have to keep my EGR and Smog pump to get inspected?
This is a '79 Mustang 5.0.
Roush 180 heads, milled .010, ported & polished.
Manley RaceMaster Valves.
Doug Herbert cam CF4N.
Crane Roller rockers
Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: Texas safty inspections

Are you talking about a track or a D.O.T. inspection. Either way sinced your car is carbed you are not required to run the egr and smog pump crap. At least its that way in West Texas
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
Fulcrum
Registered Member

Default Re: Texas safty inspections & more questions

Thanks for the input Dark_5.0. It would be for the D.O.T. inspection.

I feel that I am getting mixed signals about whats required. The Tx.D.O.T. states all original equipment supplied by the manufacturer from 1968 must be functional. Then it turns around and says that cats are required only from 1984 on. Then the local inspection shop here in Dallas says a 1979 car will recieve just a saftey inspection. While the local speed shops say don't worry about it, don't use them.
Meanwhile, I have one friend who's daily drive is stock a '72 Chevy pickup and he said that during his annual saftey inspection they check the EGR each and every year.

This 'stang came new in 1979 with EGR, Air Pump, cat, evaporative canister. Do I have to keep this crap?

I am ready to do some work now. I have a set of the Rouch 180 heads that I will begin porting just as soon as the porting kits that I've orderd, arrive, hopefully in the next day or so. "IF" I have to have an EGR then my heads need the EGR passage "activated", which I would have done at the same time I take them in to be assembled. But I don't want to do it unless absolutly I have to for D.O.T.
That brings in the smog pump, again something I'd rather not have to use but if I "have" to then I need to start planning it out now. Anybody out there from the DFW or other large metropolitain area in Texas that has experience in this regard?
I apprechiate the input Dark_5.0 but I do know the emmision laws in west Texas counties are significatnlty less restrictive then in the more populated eastern counties like the DFW area or Houston.

Another question:
Between Edelbrock's Performer & the Performer RPM, which one? This will be a street car that might see "some" track time. And if I have to use the EGR, which would be better, the "Performer" with an EGR mounting point built in or the EGR "plate" mounted between the "Performer RPM" manifold and the carborator.
Roush 180 heads, milled .010, ported & polished.
Manley RaceMaster Valves.
Doug Herbert cam CF4N.
Crane Roller rockers
Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:55 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: Texas safty inspections

Since you have some good heads I would go with the performer rpm.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote