MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-25-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
67fastback
Registered Member

Default CAN I USE MY GT40p HEADS on my street mustang and be "smog friendly"?

CAN I USE MY GT40p HEADS on my street mustang and be "smog friendly"?

HI! I just got a FOX-Bodied Mustang! All of my other cars were carb. I have GT40-p heads. I have full length tube-headers with O2 sensor bungs. CAN I BE LEGAL using these heads living in CA? I have read that the GT 40p heads were made in such as way as to be able to smog the 5.0 with the newer (at the time) laws - therefore the heads were revised to be cleaner, more efficent, deleting the need for the smog pump. Is this true?

If I JB weld the air tubes to the heads to pass visual check will I pass the sniffer?

**Yeiks!!**

(here is my new car):
http://www.cashiercentral.com/chp87/chp-87-mustang.htm
**...**
(my buddies car here):
http://www.cashiercentral.com/Sn95/index.htm
67fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:15 PM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Re: CAN I USE MY GT40p HEADS on my street mustang and be "smog friendly"?

Ohio is SOOO far away from Cally, so take this for what it's worth. GT-40P heads came STOCK on Explorers, and given the stipulations that automobile manufacturers have to deal with, it only stand to reason that FOMOCO would not put a factory head on a vehicle that wouldn't comply with all 50 states. Specially the C.A.R.B. standards out there in Cally.

That being said, visual and sniffer tests are completely different. Where I live in OH, we're not subject to a sniffer test. So quite a few years back, I had an '84 GT. I dropped the H pipe, cut the tops off of all 4 cats, cleaned them out. Then I welded the tops back on, and reinstalled it on the car. Would it pass visual? Absolutely. Put the car on the lift, and noone was the wiser. Pass Sniffer test? No fawkin way.

If the JB weld is good, and seals TOTALLY, you should be good to go. But that dam computer the government has is pretty picky. I'm just giving you my Ohio views, I think you're gonna need someone in Cally that has dealt with C.A.R.B. in the past, and take their advice. As far at the GT-40P heads go, I say go for it.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:04 AM   #3
9TOFIVER
Registered Member

Default Re: CAN I USE MY GT40p HEADS on my street mustang and be "smog friendly"?

yes you can
9TOFIVER is offline   Reply With Quote