MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-25-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
sgwinn
Registered Member

Default sunroof leaking

My 1990 LX's sunroof is leaking. Not sure if it's due to the old weatherstripping (I'm going to replace it) or the drain holes clogged. Anyone have the drain plugs clog on them and how would you ream them out?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default Re: sunroof leaking

same problem in my 90 GT. leaks the most when parked with the car on a decline and the front is lower than the rear. the 2 piece weather stripping is like $170, and i'm poor! so i added some thin self sticking rubber to the existing seals to make them a little more tight, since over time gaps has formed.

i also believe the drain holes might be clogged. i get all my water on the front passenger seats, right in the middle. i tried pouring water in the drainholes and they seemed to drain well, but i dunno bout that. i was gonna try some flexible wire (something like a weak clotheshanger) and try to stick them in the holes. be careful, as its easy to break those things. whatever you do,good luck and post your results!
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 12:31 AM   #3
Antnydude47
Registered Member

O shyt, same thing is wrong with my 88 GT.....ford must have gotten lazy on the sunroofs when they made them
Old 03-02-2005, 02:54 PM   #4
Ian Gorman
Registered Member

Had the same problem a few years ago. I replaced the weatherstripping after getting as much of the rust out as possible. Did not solve the problem. Take a look at the receptors for the sunroof hinges and run a good bead of rubber glue around the edges to bond the receptors to the roof. That stopped the water from getting to the headliner and hence the driverseat.

Ian.
Ian Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
racerboy88
Registered Member

-I had the same problem. Leaked onto my passenger seat. What -I was told was to replace the silicone seal around where the handle is. _I noticed drips of water around the screws. _When _I took the screws apart and put some clear silicone around it the problem went away and has been gone for over 5 years now. _If it was raining hard the water would drip in. _Not anymore though. _I was told this by a guy in the leak repair industry b/c he said it was an easy enough job to do myself.

racerboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
4barrel
Mustang Rookie

My car leaks around the screws. It leaks onto the back of the center console. My first mod will be to fix that. LOL
4barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:09 PM   #7
racerboy88
Registered Member

that was the exact same problem. Just take it apart and apply silicone around those areas and that should do it.

racerboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote