MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-26-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
Georgia5.0
Registered Member

Default Ram air and rain question

I have a 92 GT convertible, and I recenty installed a home made ram air kit that runs through the fog light openings. I used 6 inch drier hose connected to both openings that join together just aft of the passenger side fog light, and the one 6 inch hose runs up to the air silencer which I have cut to allow the most air to enter. My question is will this setup allow a dangerous amount of water to enter the intake in a heavy rain or if I get behind a vehicle that is throwing up a lot water?
Georgia5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
USMC302
Registered Member

Default Re: Ram air and rain question

If you have it going directly into the air intake, you need some type of filter to defer debre and crap from getting into the engine. IMO, good initiative, bad judgement. if water gets in there your going to have problems. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
Georgia5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC302
If you have it going directly into the air intake, you need some type of filter to defer debre and crap from getting into the engine. IMO, good initiative, bad judgement. if water gets in there your going to have problems. Good luck.
I do have a bug screen at each fog light opening and another at the end of the hoses right before the air filter (which is K&N), but is this enough of a buffer to prevent significant water from entering. Sorry for not mentioning that earlier. And if water does get in how much of a problem is that going to make?
Georgia5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
USMC302
Registered Member

Water does not compress, so if a good amount gets into the combustion chamber, you'll either put a hole in your piston (if your lucky) or break a rod and ruin the cylinder walls. I had a buddy who had his air filter very very loz in the fender, went through some water (flooded street) and sucked it up and broke a rod and shot it through the bottom of the oil pan. On the lighter side of things, the ram air kit is the same thing, if your not going to go through huge puddles or try to drive down flooded driveways you should be fine.