MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-06-2005, 07:50 AM   #1
scale
Registered Member

Default which cam ??

IM thinking of buying some new aluminum GT40 heads soon. Im wondering which ones to get. They have the e303 and the x303 turbo swirls (which are like $200 more)

Also how do i choose a cam for these heads. I want something a bit meaner than my stock but nothing crazy. Just enough to give it that mean sound and a few extra ponies. If i get the e303 heads then do i need a e303 cam or how does that work?

Also im thinking of throwing in roller rockers while im at it but i dont know how to choose them ....or which size to get.

Any input is appreciated. I havent touched my mustang in a few years. I have my cobra intake all ready to go but if im going to do that i might as well do the heads, cam and rockers.

I have a 91LX Coupe with the AOD, and 373s

Thanks guys
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: which cam ??

How much are the GT-40 Aluminum heads?

Look into the AFR 165's or some trick flow twisted wedge heads as well.

Screw the Ford cams, go with a trick flow stage 1 cam. I have seen a few auto stangs run real good with the trick flow stage 1 cam and an auto.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
scale
Registered Member

The gt40 heads are about 900 bucks.

Will the stage one cam just slap right in or will i need new lifters, pushrods, etc.
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale

Will the stage one cam just slap right in or will i need new lifters, pushrods, etc.
Just examine the push rods and lifters and if they look good reuse them.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
Simi Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale

It would be a good idea to replace your valve springs when you install the new cam. Especially if you are thinking of getting some roller rockers. As for what size rockers...that's up to you. stock is 1.60. You can step up to a 1.70 (or 1.72) to give that new cam a little more lift. That's what I did. B-303 w/ 1.72 Scorpion roller rockers. But I rebuilt my motor a long time ago, when the selection of cams isn't what it is today. I agree with Dark_5.0 about going with the TFS Stage-1 cam. The alphabet cams are a bit dated. And for the heads you're thinking of getting...I'd seriously consider putting another $300-$400 with that $900 and get yourself some AFR 165s. Those heads are awesome right out of the box. If not the AFRs...I'd go with Edelbrock or TFS, as opposed to the GT40s.