MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-27-2005, 10:48 PM   #1
fiveliter8
Registered Member

Default UPDATE:FMS-M-5230-M51 cat-back exhaust kit-anyone have it?

Looking to put a cat-back system on my father-in-laws 1994 GT Convertible and came arcoss this during my shopping around. It's stainless and has 3" tips. I'm wondering if anyone has used this system and how it sounds. I can't find a description of what the mufflers are. We are keeping the stock cat/h-pipes on for now. Any input would be appreciated!

Alex

Last edited by fiveliter8; 05-07-2005 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: Ordered and received the kit-description
fiveliter8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 01:15 PM   #2
jrgoffin
Registered Member

Default Re: FMS-M-5230-M51 cat-back exhaust kit-anyone have it?

I was looking for info on this exhaust as well, since I'm looking to pitch my Flowmasters, and found very little out there. I think the mufflers are made by Arvin-Meritor . I'll probably just end up calling the FRPP tech line to get some info. From the picture, it looks like it is one piece, so installing this in your driveway will be about impossible!

Also, if you look up maremont.com and find the link for the supreme performance exhausts, you'll find a blurb there. I think this is the same exhaust since it is made by Arvin Meritor for Maremont and also sold as the FRPP kit. For my '90 LX, the part # is 300555.

Last edited by jrgoffin; 04-30-2005 at 01:35 PM..
jrgoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
fiveliter8
Registered Member

Yeah, I had one place tell me they were borla mufflers, but I doubt it. I just wrote to the manufacturer about this and hopefully they reply with some answers. I asked about the internal design of the muffler and whether or not the pipes after the muffs are one piece or separate. It looks like in the picture they have a band-type clamp, but who knows.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:06 PM   #4
jrgoffin
Registered Member

I looked a little closer at the picture and can see the band clamps now, so that is nice to know it's not all one piece. I checked again in the FRPP catalogue and it does say that the mufflers are made by Arvin, so I assume they are a turbo-type muffler. I'm sure they flow better than stock, but whether or not they compare to something like the Dynomax mufflers, I guess FRPP will have to answer that.

In any case, it looks to be a real nice system for a decent price. I'm getting older and the loud exhausts just don't appeal to me any more! If this one isn't worth it, I'll probably just go with the Dynomax SuperTurbo kit. If I get any more info, I'll post it here!

Your FFR roadster looks real sweet, by the way! That is my next project when I get a real job someday or pay off my divorce lawyer, whichever comes first!!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:22 AM   #5
fiveliter8
Registered Member

Well, in case anyone is interested, the pipes are very nice. It's all stainless and used band-type clamps to connect the pieces. Nice, smooth, mandrel bends and 2.5" throughout. The mufflers are welded on, however. The bad news is the system necks down to 2" OD at the mufflers!!! WTF!? They are stamped with "FORD" and may be factory type muffs. They are a narrow body, so might be just a little bit louder over stock. We're debating on just installing as-is or putting on different mufflers. At the exit of the muffler, the pipe immediately bends upwards, leaving no room to clamp on a different muffler. Oh, and the polished 3" tips are a nice touch. $220 at John Bleakley Ford.