MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-12-2005, 07:06 PM   #1
mikew88gt
Registered Member

Default Is there a way to check serpentine belt tensioner?

The reason I ask is I just removed my power steering pump with the March A/C eliminator bracket. It moved the tensioner to the drivers side where the p/s used to live. I've also eliminated the a/c and air pump so the only things turning are the alternator, water pump, and tensioner pulley. The problem is the belt is squealing on the alternator pulley. The problem is intermittent and does it cold or hot. My car has a pretty lumpy idle so the belt does have a bit of flap to it on the alternator side. When I put my wrench on the tensioner pulley and give it the slightest bit of assistance in tightening the belt it seems to fix it. The belt is brand new. The tensioner is almost perfectly in line with all the other pulleys. Probably as close as I can ever get it with washers to shim it. My question is, can the tensioner be checked to see if it hasn't lost any of it's ability to do it's job? I just called Auto Zone and they want about $70 for a new one but I'm at the end of my troubleshooting ideas.

My 1988 Mustang GT
mikew88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Default Re: Is there a way to check serpentine belt tensioner?

It sounds like your belt is too loose. Your tensioner is probably ok. Try getting a 1/2" or 1" shorter belt. I'd start with one that is 1/2" shorter. The only way to really check a belt tensioner is with the belt off, put your socket and ratchet (try to use a shorter handle ratchet not a long handled one) on it and check it's stiffness. As long as it has reasonable spring stiffness, it is ok. When I reversed my belt tensioner, I had this same problem. I just rotated the spring inside to fix it.