MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-09-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
Simi Stang

Default rollcage prices??

Well it's finally time to get a rollcage. I've been told that my best bet is ordering a prefabbed roll cage & then paying for someone to weld it in. I haven't had a chance to look into this yet really. So how much do you guys think I'll have to pay for everything? I'm looking for a 6 point rollcage. I'd like to go chromoly if it's not too much more. Also, if anyone has any chassis/welding shops that they recommend in the L.A. area, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
Simi Stang

Default Re: rollcage prices??

Soo...no one has a roll cage on this site? Come on guys I know plenty of you are in the 11s or faster. Where did you buy your cage? Where did you get it installed? How much did everything end up costing? I'm looking to get a 6 point put in. Any info. or shop/online stores that you could recommend would greatly appreciated.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
88workcar
Registered Member

Come on over, Me and ol grocerygetter will put dat baby in.

L.A. ?

La. we can hook a brother up
To be old and wise, You must first be young and stupid I'm somewhere in tthe middle.
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:35 AM   #4
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Cage itself is gonna run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 get either a Jegster (Jeg's) or a Comp Engineering (Summit). Then expect to pay someone another $500 or so to put it in. My shop is $500 and up, depending on the car. 'Vettes are about $1,000 because they're such a pain. Doing a T/A cage right now, that's a nice one to do. Stangs are usually pretty easy. "Prefabbed" kits aren't really ready to install. Lots of tweaking, cutting, welding, fabbing still have to go into them.

Good Luck!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:07 AM   #5
USMC302
Registered Member

Jester, how much could you hook us locals up for?
Old 05-11-2005, 12:10 PM   #6
Simi Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~The Jester~
Cage itself is gonna run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 get either a Jegster (Jeg's) or a Comp Engineering (Summit). Then expect to pay someone another $500 or so to put it in. My shop is $500 and up, depending on the car. 'Vettes are about $1,000 because they're such a pain. Doing a T/A cage right now, that's a nice one to do. Stangs are usually pretty easy. "Prefabbed" kits aren't really ready to install. Lots of tweaking, cutting, welding, fabbing still have to go into them.

Good Luck!
Thanks Jester. So in your opinion, this is something I should probably pay to get installed then? I'm a decent welder, but my Dad can weld anything. He built a replica Cobra and welded up the entire chassis...and used to fabricate dune buggy chassis' as well. I don't know if he has the time to dedicate into the task of putting a cage in. I guess, I'll just pay to get it done. Is this something I have to have an NHRA official ok? Or can that be done at my local track? Sorry for all the questions...this is uncharted waters for me.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:32 PM   #7
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

i used the S&W 8pt kit and I'm glad I did. It did take a bit of tweaking, which all kits will unless you get the REALLY expensive ones, but it turned out great.

If you can weld decent, then put it in and tack it in place, then have your dad finish it off.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:54 AM   #8
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

USMC, ya gotta haul that beast up here to OHIO, and I'll hook ya up! Just finished one in a Trans Am last night around 11 PM, it came out SCHWEEET!

Yeah, what fiveoh said. It's not really the welding that gets ya, it's the tweaking and bending. The main hoop is usually built for the application (Still needs tweaking) but the other bars are just that. Bars. Have to bend, cut, fit, fishmouth, fit again, cut some more, etc etc. Lots of work. If you can find a local dummy such as myself willing to do it for $750 or so, it's worth it.

Inspection depends on your local track usually. I don't THINK you're going fast enough yet to need an NHRA chassis certification. Around here, I'll end up with 3 or 4 inspections stickers on the cage in the course of a year. Norwalk is the biggie. I usually try to get that one first, then when the other tracks see it passed at Norwalk, the inspection is OVER. Here's your sticker.....

MICE need not apply.....

Old 05-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #9
ols0051
Registered Member

I got the comp engineering one from summit. Then went and bought a $750 gas wire feed welder. It was not that hard to install. Make sure you leave the headliner and the side trim panels in. Now you just saved $500 dollars by not farming out your work and you have a nice welder for cheap, With your savings which you will use all the time.
ols0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:56 PM   #10
tarmon8r
Registered Member

I just recommend getting it atleast pre-notched until you buy a notcher. Chrome moly is usally alot more expensive than mild steel. Remember no grinding on the welds or bars afterwards. Single pass on the welds. Check out wild rides.
1983 mustang, 393 cubic inch stroker small block, victor jr heads and intake, gold race 1.6 roller rockers. comp cam 304, 244@ .050. .576" hydralic retro roller cam,lunati rods. block was o-ringed,10:1 forged pistons, speed pro fit fit rings, clevite bearings,msd distributor and igniton,be cool huge radiator, black lite electric fan, march underdrive pulleys, mildon deep sump oil pan, mac 1 3.4" long tube headers, 3" dr gas x-pipe and mac exhaust,ARP bolts. car weighs 2900 lbs w/out driver, sub frames, weld wheels, mickey thompson sportsman pro 26 x 10.5 x 15's,#8 fuel line steel braided
tarmon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #11
Simi Stang

Thanks for the input guys. I was hoping to go with chromoly just for the weight savings aspect. I'm going to check on prices though and see what I can realistically afford. It does sound like a lot of work to do even with the help of my pops. I'm probably going to order one from Competition Engineering...or Jegs, like The Jester recommended...and pay to get it professionally installed. I'm not the most patient person...and that sounds like a headache waiting to happen. Is there any tips or tricks about needing to cut through the floor under the rear seat and attach the cage to the chassis...if you can even call what's underneath a chassis, lol. What I'm asking is does the cage tie into, or weld onto the top/side of the torque boxes? I know this is going to end up costing way more than I originally thought. Decisions...decisions.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:35 PM   #12
Simi Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88workcar
Come on over, Me and ol grocerygetter will put dat baby in.

L.A. ?

La. we can hook a brother up
Yeah, I'd love to take you up on that if I was in La., as opposed to So Cal's L.A.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:08 PM   #13
Jeff Chambers

My six point is the S&W mild steel kit, $99+ shipping when I bought it. I paid a chassis builder $150 to install it, but I did all the prep of removing the interior, scraping sound deadener, etc. Wish now I would have gone chromoly...spend a few extra dollars now rather than later. I'll be cutting my entire bar out to have a custom chromoly full cage welded in sometime this summer.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:34 PM   #14
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

$150??? Jeeeezuz! Don't lose that guys phone number! That's a crap load of work for $150! Got the bargain of the lifetime there bro. How goes the new job, and WHY aren't you in St. Louis right now????

MICE need not apply.....

Old 05-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #15
Simi Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Chambers
My six point is the S&W mild steel kit, $99+ shipping when I bought it. I paid a chassis builder $150 to install it,
$99 + shipping?! Wow, that's a bargain for sure! What does S&W stand for? Most of the people I've talked to suggested spending the extra money for a chromoly cage. I think that's what I'll do then. Now...if I could just find someone to install the cage for a measly $150, I'd be stylin. Soo Jeff, where do you suggest I purchase my cage from? How long ago did you get your for $99 + shipping? Because that is way cheap...
Old 05-14-2005, 06:53 AM   #16
Jeff Chambers

Every once in a while, S&W will run specials on their cages. At the time, normal price for the 8-point was $149 but they were running a special for $99. Just worked out well. This was about 5 years ago. BTW S&W is S&W Race Cars over in PA.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote