MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-11-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
86_&_92_5.0
Registered Member

Default 5.0 Valve Cover Removal ?

All,

I have a pretty good oil leak coming from the backside of the Valve (Rocker Arm) covers on my 1986 Mustang GT. I am looking at replacing the gaskets for them but I am not sure whether I need to remove the upper intake manifold first (a much bigger job). A couple of questions:

1. Do I have to remove the Air Intake Manifold in order to remove the Valve Covers? (Chiltons manual does not mention it, but it seems like a tight fit if I don't.)

2. On a difficulty scale of 1-10 with 1 being the easiest, how would you rate this job?

Thanks to whom may respond and any additional advice or lessons learned on this job would be much appreciated.

-W
86_&_92_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
Jaber10
Registered Member

Default Re: 5.0 Valve Cover Removal ?

in order to remove my valve covers on my 88 gt i had to remove the upper manifold....b/c it is a tight fit

I am a new mustang owner and know nothing about cars but am trying to learn....and i was able to get it done.....so you can do it....make sure you remember where all the hoses go...that is the most important

James
Jaber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:34 PM   #3
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

The plenum definitely needs to come off. No question about it, there's just not enough room to lift the valve cover over the rockers with the upper plenum in the way.

Ya need special tools to unlock the high pressure fuel lines. Fear not, Autozone will loan them to you. And other than that, it's pretty much heads up. Like Jaber said, make sure you mark/remember where everything is hooked up, and you'll be fine.

Don't be scared, dive in there and have at it!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
bailey_57
Registered Member

upper plenum definitely has to come off. 6 bolts, pretty easy job, when i do them i usually don't even unhook the tb. as for the fuel lines, i don't know why you would need to unhook those. if the upper has never been off, watch for the little metal bracket on the back side of the upper, its double nutted. good luck and keep us posted!
bailey_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

The fuel lines do not need to come off. Not even if you are removing the upper and lower intake.

Here is a good tip. Go to the hardware store and buy some new valve cover bolts with a phillips screw driver head on them. I can unbolt my valve covers in 1 minute tops.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:46 AM   #6
86_&_92_5.0
Registered Member

Default Thanks for responses to "5.0 Valve Cover Removal ?"

Fellow Stang enthusiasts,

Thank you for your advice and technical expertise. Looks like I am going to be removing an intake manifold within the next couple weeks.

Best whishes,

W
86_&_92_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote