MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-23-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default cleaning MAF

whats the best way to clean the MAF? spray with electrical cleaner?
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
randbstar
Registered Member

Default Re: cleaning MAF

Best way to clean the MAF is with carb or fuel injector cleaner
Use a Q-tip and spray the cleaner on the Q-tip not the MAF
gently clean the small wires. All the dirt and gunk will be on the Q-tip. Make sure you use your "gentle fingers" because they are pretty thin.

sierra
randbstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:02 AM   #3
Capri306

Just a little personal experience here, but be sure you use a cleaner that leaves absolutely NO RESIDUE! A lot of carburetor spray cleaners do leave some residue for lubrication when used on a carburetor's linkage. However, a light oily film on the hotwire of the MAF isn't going to help things.

If you must use a carburetor cleaner spray, put a quick squirt on your finger, and see how it dries. There should be no oily film left on your finger. For some reason, the real cheap ValuCrap stuff @ AutoZone seems to work great for this, as does the electronic cleaner. Your pick.

Ditto on the gentle fingers!

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:16 AM   #4
Philossifer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri306
Just a little personal experience here, but be sure you use a cleaner that leaves absolutely NO RESIDUE!
I used plain rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab... I think it was the 99% stuff. Worked good for me!
Phil
Philossifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Re: cleaning MAF

Ditto to the use of a small bit of isopropyl alcohol on a Q-Tip to clean the wires on the MAF. I've also use a canned air spray (the kind you use on a computer keyboard or internals) to clean the MAF wires. Easy (and beneficial) to use without ever touching the ultra-sensitive MAF wires.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
stangGT95
Registered Member

I've used Prestone HD brake cleaner no residue. Took that K&N oil residue right off.
95 GT w/ AODE and Transgo Shift kit, trans cooler, SpeedCal, KB 1.5 Flowzilla w/ 6# pulley, MAC chrome CAI, chrome radiator hoses, stock MAF w/ center post removed, 70mm PP TB, electrical boost & FP gauges, digital A/F gauge, 1 5/8" unequal headers, 2 1/2" ProChamber h-pipe, Borla catback exhaust, and 3.55's. Cobra RR hood, Saleen double wing, Xenon body kit, chrome Cobra R wheels 17X8 in front and 17X10.5 in the back.
stangGT95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:58 PM   #7
Capri306

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangGT95
I've used Prestone HD brake cleaner no residue. Took that K&N oil residue right off.
Yeah, that's the only gripe I have regarding K&N filters. They all seem to leave some oily goo around the MAF and throttle body. Oh well, nothing flows better so I'm not really complaining.

I'm like Mr 5.0; I don't like physically touching the wires with anything. Good call on brake cleaner, as that doesn't leave residue, either.

Does anyone recall a 'hot wire' design parameter about it getting hot enough to burn shizzit off of itself? Mebbe that was an older Bosch system I was reading about...one of them had a hotwire that REALLY got hot, as in enough to act as a self-cleaning function. I know the Ford designs only go to a certain temperature above ambient.

Nevermind that last paragraph, I was just typing and thinking at the same time. Dangerous! lol

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote