MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-29-2005, 09:09 AM   #1
93hatchGt
Registered Member

Default How do i make my mustang sound the best?

OK ive been building a project car for two years. I bought a 4cyl 93 hatch. Converted to 8 and im almost done. Yesterday i started it and i wasnt happy wiht what it sounded like. I want it really loud but street leagal. I bougt headmen headers equal length shorties. I have the stock h-pipe, but i bought a mac cat back system and its not sounding that loud. DO u think its deff. the h-pipe that is not letting it roar? let me know please .thx
Peace
93hatchGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
five0guy
work in progress

Default Re: How do i make my mustang sound the best?

yea, the convertors and resignators really drown out the sound. you can buy the mac h-pipe with cats and get some good sound.. but i got the off road h-pipes with cheap mufflers (afterburners i think) and it sounds wonderful. it even sounded great with factory crimped headers, but it sounds amazing with the new shorty headers.
five0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #3
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

those cats are killing you. get an offroad h-pipe and your you will love it. or get an o/r x-pipe, a unique sound and a little more power
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
94snake
Registered Member

in my opinnion an x - pipe sounds wicked. ive got bassani equal length headers, bassani off road x pipe and bassani mufflers with turndowns. either h or x pipe is the way to go, definately lose the cats, and get some decent mufflers. if you take this advice you should be more than satisfied!!!
94snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 01:40 AM   #5
91rcktstang
Registered Member

Im running BBK shorties, BBK H pipe and a Mac catback system and it sounds great, I think you would be very happy with a similar setup.
91rcktstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:40 AM   #6
Philossifer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93hatchGt
OK ive been building a project car for two years. I bought a 4cyl 93 hatch. Converted to 8 and im almost done. Yesterday i started it and i wasnt happy wiht what it sounded like. I want it really loud but street leagal. I bougt headmen headers equal length shorties. I have the stock h-pipe, but i bought a mac cat back system and its not sounding that loud. DO u think its deff. the h-pipe that is not letting it roar? let me know please .thx
Peace
hatch,
I've never been a big fan of shorty headers! Because no matter how good they are designed to scavenge, there is still a natural restriction that you can't do anything about at the header flanges where they connect to the H-pipe. If you hold up any shorty header side by side to the stock headers, you will see what I mean. The size of the hole at the flange of the aftermarket shorties is basically the same size as the stock headers. So what are you really accomplishing with shorties? Not much!

On the other hand, with full length headers there is no restriction where they meet the H-pipe. There is usually a 3" collector that connects the four header pipes to the H-pipe.

Full length headers make more power and make a small block sound bigger than it is, even with quite mufflers. The only disadvantage is that it takes some custom work to make them fit.

Shorties are a good choice for people who live out in the boonies and don’t have an exhaust shop nearby. They can install them in their driveway with relative ease. But if you have access to an exhaust shop that can do some minor custom work, long tube headers are the only way to go for sound and power!
Phil
Philossifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:39 AM   #7
jeb
Registered Member

I have FMS shorties, a mac h-pipe, and 2-chamber flowmasters on my convertable, and since the day I put those mufflers on I've been hearing how great it sounds. I just got my v-8 conversion on the road and have heddman long tubes, h-pipe., and a flowmaster 2-chamber catback. Within the week I've had it on the road I've had at least ten comments on how good it sounds. I love me some flowmasters.
Need Gears Bad!!!
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
Capri306

"Really loud yet street legal" is an oxymoron, or at least that's how the officer viewed it.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:50 PM   #9
racerboy88
Registered Member

I think flowmaster makes a full system that sounds wicked.

racerboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote