MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-06-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
ols0051
Registered Member

Default Alt. wiring questions.

I am trying to wire a alternator that I think is for a 85 and older mustang. It has the ring terminal type connections. Not the plug-in type. Anyway, It has the posts listed as this. sta,grd,batt,fld. Keep in mind that this car has no factory wiring at all, so I need to know to what these connections go too. The batt,ground i can figure out. But where does the stator and field wire go. Thanks for the help....
ols0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Default Re: Alt. wiring questions.

Check the 65 up part....

http://www.mustangsteve.com/GENtoALT.html

I wired the alternator to my Falcon like that. You have to have a regulator. I hope this helps.
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters

65 Mustang 13.50 107mph 3000' ALt.

65 Falcon Straight Axle Drag Car
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
ols0051
Registered Member

I thought the alt, had a built -in regulator. The thing is big enough. Thanks for the info I'll start looking into a regulator.....
Old 07-12-2005, 09:02 AM   #4
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Batt, Gnd are obvious. Field comes from the "F" terminal on the voltage regulator. Stator is used for the electric choke, it's +7 volts when the alternator is charging.

Voltage regulator goes like this: "A" goes to "Batt" on alternator. "F" goes to "FLD" on alternator. "S" is your sensing wire, hook this up to something that has +12v with the key on. Wherever you hook this up to, the regulator will make the alt put +14v AT THAT POINT. And the last terminal is just a +12v input to run the regulator.

Hope that helps!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:50 PM   #5
82 GT
Import Slayer

Make life easier for you buddy and get a powermaster alternator with the 1 wire hook up. It's just one #4 wire from the alternator to the positive side of the battery...done....no headaches...no cursing and swearing, throwing tools.
I have one and it's GREAT!
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:30 PM   #6
ols0051
Registered Member

It sounds like I should have used a 1 wire alt. but for now this one is new, so I'm stuck with it. Now to find a neat place to hide the regulator...thanks for all the good info. I'll get on it...just spent a year and a truck load of money building this car I'm really up to taking for a blast at the strip...but want finish it 100% before I go or some stuff will never get done...
Old 07-16-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

1 wire alternators SUCK. Sorry to burst your bubble there bro. Remote sensing "3" wire is the way to go, although I only have 2 hooked up to my "3" wire alt.

Basically it's like this. Alt is mounted on the motor? Yep! Battery is in the trunk? Yep! Battery cable runs ALLLLLLL the way back up front? Yep!

So, with a remote sensing "3" wire alternator, if I hook my "S" wire from the volatge regulator (external) up to the point WAAAAAY up front from the battery, I can make my Alt. put +14V AT THAT POINT.

My Gawd, I should write a book! Gonna Teach 82GT all about fuel systems, and evidently I learnt myself a thing or 2 about charging systems in the process too! See what happens when your car is down for 2 years, and all you have to do is research!

I gotta headache now....... Off for a beer!

P.S. I "hid" my regulator behind the passenger's side shock tower. Down by the sub-frame.

I'm NOT trying to be cocky, but just trying to save you young bucks a trip down a road I've already been on. PLEEEEEEEZ don't take this as abusive, cuz it's SOOOOOOOO NOT! Just lookin at the same "mistakes" I've made in the past.....

MICE need not apply.....

Last edited by ~The Jester~; 07-16-2005 at 05:48 PM..
~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote