MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-31-2005, 10:47 PM   #1
bigdaddy999
Registered Member

Default Need help selecting ignition

This is going to sound crazy but just bare with me. I have a 87 gt. A couple years ago the ignition was all screwed up and i wasnt getting spark with the electronic distributor. My father has a 1967 Mercury cyclone. He decided for laughs to take his points distributor and oil filled coil out of his car and try it in mine. Sure enough, the car started right up. I bought different electronic distr., coils, wires, u name it. I could not get it going with the electronic stuff, so I left the Points. I am now looking to add some power. Since my car wont run with electronic stuff, i guess I will stick with the points and oil filled coil. Can you get any real power with a points distributor, or can i get some sort of setup that is not electronic module?. My dad has changed his points to elecronic with a flame thrower coil and distributor. Does anyone know what kind of setup I can by to have a good ignition setup. I feel like the points is just a power robber. Any suggestions? PLease help...
bigdaddy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:20 AM   #2
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Default Re: Need help selecting ignition

Get a msd 6al box, a blaster 2 coil, and a msd distributor. If you can wire up a stereo, you can do this. I am curious though, when you could not get it running on the electronic ignition, did you not check the wiring? If you did, then did you try to rewire it yourself? It had to be a bad ground or bad wiring if you had all good stuff elsewhere. IMO, points ignition sucks compared to electronic. It would be worthwhile to me to get the electronic ignition working.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:44 AM   #3
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieatcamaros
Get a msd 6al box, a blaster 2 coil, and a msd distributor. If you can wire up a stereo, you can do this. I am curious though, when you could not get it running on the electronic ignition, did you not check the wiring? If you did, then did you try to rewire it yourself? It had to be a bad ground or bad wiring if you had all good stuff elsewhere. IMO, points ignition sucks compared to electronic. It would be worthwhile to me to get the electronic ignition working.
Yeah, Zackly what he said.

Dumb question for ya. Did ya change the ignition module? If so, did ya use ALL the grease that came with it?

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
bigdaddy999
Registered Member

yah, i checked all the wires with a voltmeter and they had juice. thats why i couldnt understand why i was getting no spark. everything was good, and i cahnged the module like 3 times and used all the grease. no when i buy this msd setup with the distributor, is it going to work being my other electronic distr. didn't work?
bigdaddy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

I still don't understand why it wouldn't work if the wiring was good. That makes it hard to say that this would work. I do know this: If you find a 12v switched wire, tap into that, and run it to the msd box you will have ignition. A 12v switched wire is one that has 12v(or whatever your battery's actual voltage is) when the key is in the ON position but has no juice when the key is off. Of course the same thing will work with the duraspark ignition too.