MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-14-2005, 06:48 AM   #1
CSJ3 notchback
Tzreikno

Default Quick release quadrant?/Triple Hook?

I'm replacing my quadrant and broken cable and was going with one of UPR's quadrant/cable/firewall adjusters with either the triple hook or quick release quadrants. Does the quick release quadrant make for much harder of a pedal, and does it help make shifting a little quicker? Also, does UPR make a decent aftermarket cable?(I've heard a lot lately that aftermarkets are sh*tty and stock is the way to go, but their pricy)
CSJ3 notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:14 AM   #2
tmoss
Registered Member

Default Re: Quick release quadrant?/Triple Hook?

Use a stock cable. I have that and the UPR quick release and firewall adjustor. Good stuff. Use the quick release over the tripple hook. It does release faster and make speed/power shifting a little easier.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
CSJ3 notchback
Tzreikno

Anyone tried Maximum Motorsports' universal OEM cable (supposed to be same as stock but cheaper/more heat resistant - about $60-70). I'm probably gonna go with that and UPR's quick release quadrant/extreme firewall adjuster. I had an aftermarket cable with an SVO aluminum quadrant which sucked. The pedal was stiff, the cable streched often and finally broke, and it looks like the cable was kind of chewing up the surface of the quadrant.

tmoss, is the pedal effort the same the whole way with the quick release, or is it stiff at first then gets a little lighter toward the floor?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
tmoss
Registered Member

It's the same pedal effort and just like the stock quadrant. I was impressed. Use the stock cable support in the engine compartment - it's there for a reason!
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

Old 09-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
CSJ3 notchback
Tzreikno

What do you mean, the braket in the engine bay for the cable? I was saying the cable looked like it was messing up the surface in the actual groove on the SVO quadrant like there was a bunch of friction. Hopefully the MM cable will be worth the extra $$$, they claim it's a little better than stock.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:03 PM   #6
tmoss
Registered Member

There is a support bracket in the engine bay to help hold the cable comming out of the fire wall in a nice arc. It's located behind the power steering pump.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:27 PM   #7
CSJ3 notchback
Tzreikno

I know what your talking about, I made sure to use it. I just thought it was weird that there was that much friction on the quadrant, thats where the cable broke. Did you have to make an overtravel bracket for the clutch pedal being the quick release quadrant takes less pedal movement to disengage the clutch? (or a return stop to keep the pedal a little lower when let off, around the same height as the brake/throttle?)
Old 09-14-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
tmoss
Registered Member

I didn't do anything but put the parts in and adjust.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:16 PM   #9
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Whatever firewall adjuster you use, make sure it comes with a reinforcing plate. Basically a big square that sandwiches the firewall. I THINK UPR's are like that, not sure though. I'm running a Pro-Motion. Kinda sucky to install (need a buddy, or quite a bit of luck) but well worth it.

My cable is clamped with the afore mention bracket, AND I built another off of the oil pan to help the cable miss the headers. No probs so far!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #10
skiwesser
Registered Member

Should I leave stock setup alone until somthing breaks.
Isn't the quadrant and locking paw VERY hard to get to?
88 GT: subs,pullies, 1 3/4 longtubes, flowmasters, AFR 165's,T,F #1 cam,Thyphoon intake, 24# inj., 73mm C&L,65mmT.B., 190LPH pump, Eagle sir rods, forged pistons in a newly rebuilt 306.

DYNO TUNED TO 300.97 RWHP 337RWTQ
skiwesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:43 AM   #11
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwesser
Should I leave stock setup alone until somthing breaks.
Isn't the quadrant and locking paw VERY hard to get to?
Hell No! That's called "Preventative Maintenace" and it's 3/4 of the game. Figuing out problems, and fixing them before they become "problems".

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:58 AM   #12
andy669
Registered Member

That quick release quadrant is only worth about .010" of air gap. But, if youre getting one, you might as well get that one. It cant hurt anything.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #13
CSJ3 notchback
Tzreikno

I went ahead and ordered the parts last night, the quick release quadrant and extreme firewall adjuster from UPR and the OEM style universal Ford cable from Maximum Motorsports. The MM universal OEM unit was $60 compared to $130 for a factory style and is supposedly better than a factory unit from what they say. We'll see, I'll let you know how the setup works next week.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:30 AM   #14
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

i got the steeda adjustable cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster. no problems after 2 or 3 years of daily driving on them
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote