MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-05-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
mudchucker
Registered Member

Default cylinder head temps.

what have you guys with aftermarket heads experienced with heat build up on Aluminum heads? I have heard to keep cast heads if i am running at all hot, but i have also heard Aluminum isn't as bad as most people think if i run hot. Right now i get up to 230- 240 for periods of time and haven't had any problems at all. I guess my other question is at what temp. should i get concerned?

Thanks
mudchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Default Re: cylinder head temps.

230-240 degrees seems kind of hot to me. Is that from idleing in traffic for long periods of time? The aluminum heads will help make your engine run cooler, because they dissipate the heat better than cast iron. But I'd work on getting your current motor combination to run a bit cooler before purchasing some expensive aluminum heads. Like you mentioned...you don't want to damage new alum. heads. I'd replace the stock clutch fan with an electric or flex fan. The flex fan I run moves a lot more air, and made a difference in motor temp. Some other things that will bring the engine temp down would be a plenum spacer. That goes between the upper & lower manifolds. A bigger, aftermarket radiator, preferably aluminum. And last but not least Redline Water Wetter, which you add to your antifreeze. All those things helped my motor run much cooler. I never used the Water Wetter on my current setup...but I have on past Mustangs I've owned. It does work.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
mudchucker
Registered Member

the weird thing is that i put in a cooler t-stat and it didn't make any difference at all. I can tell exactly where it opens and closes and it sure isn't 180. It will idle and run at city speeds great all day long with no issues, but as soon as i hit a highway it heats right up. kind of backwards in my mind. i will try the tricks mentioned above-those were great thoughts. Any other opinions/. How much better does an aluminum radiator work than a stock 3 core does?
mudchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:26 PM   #4
Simi Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudchucker
the weird thing is that i put in a cooler t-stat and it didn't make any difference at all. I can tell exactly where it opens and closes and it sure isn't 180. It will idle and run at city speeds great all day long with no issues, but as soon as i hit a highway it heats right up. kind of backwards in my mind. i will try the tricks mentioned above-those were great thoughts. Any other opinions/. How much better does an aluminum radiator work than a stock 3 core does?
Wow...that does seem backward, heating up on the highway like that! Strange. Not exactly sure what you meant by "how much better"...but a larger, aluminum radiator works MUCH better than the thin stock unit. It helps everything run cooler. I saw a difference on my temp. guage for sure.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:47 AM   #5
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

My 351 would run near 220 in 5 minutes of city driving in 90 degree heat. That was with the stock mustang radiator. I put an aluminum radiator in it and it runs 190 all day long.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:53 AM   #6
Gearhead999
Registered Member

If it is heating up on the highway, check the radiator. Might be partial plugged or just too small for the hp you're producing now.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:44 AM   #7
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Aluminum radiator + Mark 8 fan = no heating problems!