MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-22-2001, 02:26 PM   #1
SuperIrish
Registered Member

Post Which cam is better??

The Crane cam seems to have a bit more advertised duration then the Comp Cams offering

Comp Cams
XE270 which is 218/224 @.050 and 270/276 114 LSA .544 .544 http://www.compcams.com/catalog/156_157.html

This is from the Crane website
Cam Specifications for the Power Max
220/ 226 @.050 and 282/288 114 LSA .529 .544 http://www.cranecams.com/master/apps/ford18.htm#1.%
20PowerMax

Looking at them it would seem the comp cams would work better and be more efficient. Any opinions??

Thanks

David

------------------
SuperIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 04:08 AM   #2
PKRWUD

For who? Both cams sound great, depending on what you're looking for, and what you have. You need to be a little more specific. The folks here are very good, but their not psychic.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 07:46 AM   #3
SuperIrish
Registered Member

My bad, forgot the sig and what changes I want. I'm looking for a decent street cam that will make good power without screwing up the emissions. I don't care if it is noticeable sound wise as long as it runs good. I have a Kaufman Stage III cam now it is 212/220@ .050 270/276 advertised duration and .533 lift. It works OK but uses technology from the early 80's and I'd like to take advantage of something newer and most likely more efficient. I'm thinking of keeping the current combo with the possible exception of either getting larger valves or windsor jr heads.

Thanks

David

------------------
Dark-Blue 88GT, homemade ram air using modified factory air box, 75MM Pro-M MAF, BBK 70MM TB, ported stock heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, 24# injectors, Kaufmann Stage III cam 212/220 .533" w/ Crane 1.7 rockers, March underdrive pulleys, Boss 302 windage tray, FMS clutch, Hurst shifter, BBK equal-length cerama-coated shorties,MAC 2 1/2" Prochamber, 2 1/2" DynoMax cat-back, Lincoln MKVIII fan w/ PSM1 controller, BBK springs front, 4 cyl. LX springs in back, polyurethane bushings, polished 16

[This message has been edited by SuperIrish (edited 09-23-2001).]
Old 09-23-2001, 11:20 AM   #4
PKRWUD

Thank you. Now I can agree with you. It seems like more work than it's worth, but if you think it will make that big a difference, do it. What are your rear gears?

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 12:04 PM   #5
SuperIrish
Registered Member

Ooops! I've got 3:55's, never noticed I forgot that in the sig.

Thanks,

David

Old 09-24-2001, 08:18 PM   #6
8950LX
Registered Member

I would not change your cam. For the money and time spent you will be disappointed. I have used a variety of cams such as you have described and the difference in power was only noticeable on the dyno. If you decide to change your heads then you might consider changing the cam to complement the more efficient heads. Both cams are great. Both manufacturers measure advertised duration differently,leading you to believe one is vastly more efficient than the other.Remember it's the proper combo that will make the big difference. Hope this helps.
8950LX is offline   Reply With Quote