MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default Anyone have trouble with Mallory modules?

Last week, the module in my dizzy went bad again. It's the second time in 3 years I've replaced it.
That little module runs $90
Is this a common problem with Mallory dizzys?
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default Re: Anyone have trouble with Mallory modules?

Bud I feel ur pain, mine went bad the first time I went to take a girl friend for a ride in the car (frist spring outing of that year). Mine has not went bad sicne I put the new one in around 5/00. I have heard lots of reliability issues regarding the Mallory dizzy's and those modules. I will tell you this, I added the little $30 power filter and I have had no more problems. Not sure if this has helped, or just good luck, but might be worth checking out.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

Yeah, this time I'm getting that power filter for sure! I'm also going to replace the ballast resistor. I don't know if they lose resistance over time but I'm not taking any chances next time.
I just got my new fuel system finished with the sumped tank and -8AN lines and I was on my way to my friends house but never made it there.
If it goes bad again, I'm ditching the mallory for an MSD.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

My Unilite modules last about 2-3 yrs. or 18-20,000 miles. I'm on my 3rd one now. When I mentioned this to the parts guy where I buy performance parts locally, he said "you're lucky, most people don't get them to last that long"

I agree with 82 GT. I'm going to switch to a magneticly triggered MSD when this Unilite module fails as it surely will.

And thanks Ryan for the tip about the power filter. I was totally unaware.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:07 AM   #5
82 GT
Import Slayer

I sent Mallory an email asking them if they could hook me up with a great deal on a new module and if not, then I'm going MSD
I'll let you know what they say!
Old 11-10-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 GT
I sent Mallory an email asking them if they could hook me up with a great deal on a new module and if not, then I'm going MSD
I'll let you know what they say!
Now THAT'S "Ha Ha" funny!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:50 AM   #7
82 GT
Import Slayer

Well, I just received an email back from Mallory. They won't give me a deal on a new one but they they came out with a new module that replaces the old MAL-605 unit that sells for much cheaper, as in, half cheaper..$43.95! and is supposed to be a better unit. Here is what they said:
------------------------------------------------------------------
First I have to set you straight. This is NOT a common problem. If you have a problem with your vehicle (electrical system), or an install problem, you will kill modules, no matter the brand. What will kill a Unilite will also kill a MSD, GM HEI, Ford Duraspark, and others.

The most common causes are:

1) Ineffective grounding of the vehicle. You need clean and complete grounds of adequate size. (battery to engine; battery to body; engine to frame; engine to body; body to frame).
2) Sticking alternator or regulator. If a cheap diode or regulator sticks, it will dump high amperage to ground. The cheap testers at the parts stores will not catch it. The only way to see it is by testing the units on a scope.
3) Using cheap battery chargers/boosters will also spike to ground.

We have seen customers with the same module woring perfectly for 20+ years, and other individuals kill three on a Saturday afternoon based on one of the issues above.

Secondly, the Active Power Filter is useless for stopping a power spike. It is more compared to using a rabbit ear antenna on your TV set in that it won't give you a perfect picture, but it will take away some snow and clean up the picture slightly. The Active Power Filter only cleans up dirty power signals by chopping off a bit of the sharp edges of the signal. A better unit is the Circuit Guard, part #MAL-29371 that has both the Filter and a big capacitor in it. The capacitor will absord "most" power spikes.

Now for your deal. I hope you have read what I wrote for you above. We now offer a new module called the E-Spark. Mallory gave it a different name but it is still basically a Unilite. It installs the same and operates the same. But, it is based upon a better circuit system and also at a lower price of only $43.99. We stopped selling the #605 Unilite when these came out because they are better for the customer in both technology and price.

We do not have them listed on the current website, but if you just order the #MAL-605 online you will automatically receive the lower-priced E-Spark module. http://www.centuryperformance.com/de...uct_id=MAL-605

Lastly, people on those message boards do not understand the ignition module, what can kill it (and other electrical components on their vehicles), nor how to find the true cause of the problem. For them it is easier to blame the effect (dead module) instead of the cause, which is most often due to one of the issues I mentioned above.

Sales Support
Old 11-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #8
82 GT
Import Slayer

I just checked Summit website and found the new part number for the E module. It's MAA-6100M and is $6 cheaper than through Mallory's website.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I am not claiming we know what we are doing. I am however going to point out that if in one part of his response he says "there is no deficiency with our product" then follows that with "but have no fear, here is the new and improved model", that leads me to believe we are not the only ones that have had troubles with this piece.

Granted we are not certified mechanics...and I have learned a lot of things from what I did WRONG....3 people having some issues with the product in this limited group of people, tells me there new and improved piece was prompted by more then...just cause.

Glad to see you found us a cheaper part 82gt, I would rather keep my Mallory just cause of its size, I like the little Dizzy.

Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:44 PM   #10
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite65
I am however going to point out that if in one part of his response he says "there is no deficiency with our product" then follows that with "but have no fear, here is the new and improved model", that leads me to believe we are not the only ones that have had troubles with this piece.

Granted we are not certified mechanics...and I have learned a lot of things from what I did WRONG....3 people having some issues with the product in this limited group of people, tells me there new and improved piece was prompted by more then...just cause.

Ryan
I noticed the same conflicting statements in their response too.
If it wasn't a common problem then why was there a need to upgrade itand introduce an improved filter?
We are not the only people who had trouble with these modules either. Here are some more people who had the same problem.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/phpBB/view...673&forum=1&13
I find it very hard to believe that ALL of us had underlining issues with our ignition systems for the modules to burn out.