MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-12-2005, 03:29 AM   #1
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Default Distributor help please

This is the first totally mechanical advance distributor and it's causing me grief. I installed a MSD billet distributor on the Cleveland I'm building. The problem is seting the static timing. The distributor gives a total of 25 degrees mechanical advance. I have it set to come in at about 2000 rpm. The problem is that setting the static timing to 10-15 degrees gives me a lethargic off-idle take off. The higher I raise it the better it gets but when do I reach that point of diminishing returns? The way it looks, I'll have to go somewhere around 20-24 degrees of static advance to get the stumble out of it. I'm not concerned about the total advance as I can bush it down to 15 degrees of mechanical if need be. Is this high of a timing set normal for these things? Total timing on my engine should be 35-38 degrees
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
PKRWUD

Default Re: Distributor help please

The 1974 351CJ's stock timing was 20 degrees BTDC. Such numbers are not uncommon for Clevelands. However, since every vehicle is different, the only way to find your best setting is through trial and error. Start at 20 degrees advanced, and then go to 22, and see if it gets better or worse. It's all about fine-tuning, and time.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

Get a vacuum gauge and set your initial timing until you get the highest vacuum reading.
PKRWUD , I was surprised I didn't see that response from you. That's another one of your tips you posted in the past.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:09 AM   #4
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Thanks for the information, both you guys. After Christmas, I'm going to replace the distributor with a "ready to run" billet unit with a vacuum advance but that's a ways off yet and this will help me get started. I just received the Delta fan controller in the mail today so now I can let it run long enough to warm everything up and get it set right. I'll let you know what happens. Besides, I've been looking for an excuse to get a good vacuum guage. Of course, tomorrow will be taken up by the wife's Saturn and a possible plugged fuel filter.
Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 GT
Get a vacuum gauge and set your initial timing until you get the highest vacuum reading.
PKRWUD , I was surprised I didn't see that response from you. That's another one of your tips you posted in the past.

Brian, you are right on the money. I don't know what I was thinking. Are brainfarts a sign of getting old? lol. Anyway, good call!
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote