MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Fuel Pump going out?

Mostly occurs after sitting overnight, but car starts up fine. Then, sounds/feels like electric/fuel starvation cut out, you hear a gasping sound from the MAF, like fuel delivery or spark just died. It'll surge a couple of times then die.
After it cuts out, I hear the fuel pump prime and several clicks in rapid suggestion, which sounds like a relay tripping over and over again. The fuel pump relay is OEM and gets pretty hot, but I think that is a symptom of the 255lph pump. I put a fp relay from autozone on it and it burned it up in less than 10 minutes. I put the OEM one back on and it has been "working" ever since.
The MSD wires are good, the MSD distro had a little corrosion in it but it is clean, the blaster coil is new, and the plugs are new gapped at .050.
FP is set at 41 PSI, and holds at 36 PSI at idle w/ vacuum connected. I rev it and fp drops a few psi on the gauge.
FP rapidly drops to 20 psi on the gauge after it cuts out.
I checked/cleaned the TPS (.98vdc), IABV (11.5vdc at idle avg),
and ECT (steadily decreasing voltage from 2.0vdc down to 1.4 vdc as engine began to warm up)

After it comes up to operating temp it seems to run well, with only the occasional cut out. I already bought another pump (BBK 255lph)
and will put it in after I drive around today and empty the tank.

thanks in advance...and happy new year, hope everyone gets some cool tools. I'm holding out for a Anderson PMS!
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Default Re: Fuel Pump going out?

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere. Clean all the grounds and try again. Ford's hvae to have 2 Good grounds off the block, and one off the tranny, or they will act the way your's is. This may not be the problem, but it's inexpensive to try.

From there I would check your fuel pump circuit.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Would a bad/intermittent ground only occur at specific temperatures?
I thought the same thing, but the fact is that it occurs almost exclusively at 120-140 degrees on the temp gauge after sitting overnight. It ran really well today, smooth idle, good throttle response, etc.
Well, I'm going to look at the fuel pump circuit schematic and dwell on this for a while...might have a beer too.

thanks...
Old 01-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
John Del
Registered Member

I would change the relay as well. I had an intermittent fuel pump relay cause intermittent problems.

John
John Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

I got my anderson PMS from Racer Walsh yesterday and Eddie helped me do an initial tune. What a difference, the partial throttle timing feature has unleashed amazing pickup. The car is riding better than ever.
But one thing that is definitely messed up is my o2's. I am showing no output to the computer. I know the bosch 02's are only a month old. I checked the voltage at the connector on the right fender and I got .5 volts +/- on the yellow striped wire. I cleaned the connector and reseated it and got a reading temporarily. However, the reading went slowly down to zero on the PMS within 30 seconds. What could be causing the voltage reading to slowly fade?

thanks, and thanks for the anderson pms recommendations...this thing is something else.