MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #21
tmoss
Registered Member

Default Re: zero decking the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999
Have you pushed the connecting rod up to zero out the bearing oil clearance?
No need - you have that from micing the crank and rod bore or from plastiguage. Simple math - and the crank does not necessarily ride @ center at rpm anyway right? so, you know the tolerance "window" of measurements and affect on deck or other issues such as p-v @ rpm, which also needs to consider rod stretch, piston "growth" at temp, etc, etc. Details - the devil is in there.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:42 PM   #22
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Chambers
No argument here. There's quite a few different theories on setting up a motor, but if you really want to see the tricks pay attention to heads up racing. Not intending to offend anyone, but bracket racers don't normally go to the extents that a heads up racer will.

Just dropped my pistons off at the engine shop today. Beautiful JE customs with all the tricks, titanium casidium coated wrist pins and Total Seal diamond finish ring set. Hell, the ring set alone cost more than most people spend on a full set of pistons. Just had the block punched for roller cam bearing.....sweeeeeeeeeet.
Does this mean you're playing "Street Warrior" in '06? Thought you were wrenching for another team, how'd that work out? Or it this motor a "shop thing"? What's the skinny here bud?

I found a new machine shop, he does everything but leans WAY towards the blue oval. I like the way he thinks, and he's telling me we can get quite a bit more ponies out of the same motor with PROPER machine work. After reading this thread, I have to agree. But like I said before, this one is already at zero deck, so I have to stick with it. It is getting punched .040" over, so she's on her last leg, but what a ride it's gonna be! I can't wait!

Andy, I posted this "question" on my own forums, just to see. And MOST, I'm talkin 98% of the guys agree with you! All for different reasons, mainly reliability. I'm with Jeff at this point. I like my zero deck, but you make a darn good argument my friend!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #23
andy669
Registered Member

Jester, glad I got you thinking..lol.. Actually I'm not arguing or debating anything. Theres nothing to debate. Its pretty clear. The reason people have a hard time accepting it is because they've never heard of it being done that way. Zero deck is all anybody has ever been taught. Well, that and .010 out of the hole is real popular with a bunch of douchebags around here.

So the people you are talking to say its better to have them in the hole for reliability reasons, and they cant comprehend that you gain compression by making up your quench distance with the bore instead of a headgasket that is bigger than the bore? Well, now I guess you know how I feel..lol..

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #24
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Jester, I had a 351W that had a positive deck, pistons out of their holes, by .002-.003.

I sent the pistons out and had the piston crowns machined so I had .001, down in the bores, deck. Did it for reliability. Wasn't real hard to get done.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:18 AM   #25
andy669
Registered Member

3 thou off the top of the piston is going to make the engine more reliable?

We have a fixture for our lathe that is specifically for this. It takes about 15-20 minutes per piston. I think the most i've ever taken off a set is .020.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote