MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
fongo
Registered Member

Unhappy smoke out of A/C vents (??)

Hi everyone.
I'm seeing smoke/mist coming out of the A/C vents when I turn the A/C on or keep the vents open while driving and I'm quite worried!
It does have an anti-freeze king of smell. Any possible sign of coolant sipping into the A/C vent line? (never heard of this).
Please help. Thanks a billion!
fongo
1993 GT, MAC Fenderwell Cold Air Induction; Accel dist.,Splitfire plugs, BBK: 1 5/8 unequal length shorties, hi flow H-pipe w/ cats; Flowmasters 2 chamber American Thunder catback system, Motorsports 3-core radiator, 180º thermostat, BBK adj. clutch quad...the rest is bone stock!..but more mods to come!!
fongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
fongo
Registered Member

Default Re: smoke out of A/C vents (??)

Anyone has any comments??
Problem is getting worse. I have anti-freeze leaking out from lower-floor vents on BOTH passanger & driver side.
I read somewhere that it could be the heater core (???)
whaghh!
1993 GT, MAC Fenderwell Cold Air Induction; Accel dist.,Splitfire plugs, BBK: 1 5/8 unequal length shorties, hi flow H-pipe w/ cats; Flowmasters 2 chamber American Thunder catback system, Motorsports 3-core radiator, 180º thermostat, BBK adj. clutch quad...the rest is bone stock!..but more mods to come!!
Old 06-14-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
bailey_57
Registered Member

sounds like a heater core issue. are you losing coolant? is the car overheating? is water leaking out of the firewall drain hole on the passenger side behind the AC evaporator? do you have a puddle of coolant soaked into your rug on the passenger side? Your problem sounds like a bad heater core to me. don't worry, the good news is you only have to remove the console and the dash(if your really good i think you can get the dash out without removing the console) my last core only cost 25 bucks from A&A. good luck. and make sure you check the heater core hoses and replace those along with the clamps.
performer rpm intake, performer rpm cylinder heads, fms e-303 cam, kirban adj fp regulator, holley 65mm tb, harland sharp 1.6 roller rockers, alum driveshaft, 3.73 gears (283 rwhp, 303 rwtq new numbers with new heads)
bailey_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
fongo
Registered Member

Thanks bailey_57!
That's exactly what's happening. In the Chilton's manual, it says that if your car is A/C equipped you remove the evaporator assembly to get to the heater core. Does that mean you dont have to remove the panel & console (oh man, what a pain!!)
Do you know approx how much it costs to have a shop drain out the refrigerant from the A/C etc and replace the heater core??
Thanks for your help!!
fongo
Old 06-16-2007, 01:40 AM   #5
bailey_57
Registered Member

i have a guy that does stuff real cheap for me and he charged me 380 dollars to replace it. the second time i did it myself, and saved a ton of money but i'll never do it again! it SUX. good luck, i don't know that you have to remove the evaporator, my ac was already unfilled from leaking orings, so my heater box wasn't pressurized.
performer rpm intake, performer rpm cylinder heads, fms e-303 cam, kirban adj fp regulator, holley 65mm tb, harland sharp 1.6 roller rockers, alum driveshaft, 3.73 gears (283 rwhp, 303 rwtq new numbers with new heads)
Old 06-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
fongo
Registered Member

Thanks!
The local Ford dealer wants $850 + tax.
Oh well..you gotta do whatcha gotta do...
Old 06-18-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
bailey_57
Registered Member

oh my god $850 . Thats terrible! These dealers are crazy. How many hours were you quoted? I paid 38 per hour and it was a ten hour job. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
USMC302
Registered Member

I was able to change the heater core without pulling th dash out, I unbolted it and was able to ull it out far enough on the passengerside to squeeze it out and the new one in. Took around 4 or 5 hours...Good luck.