MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-08-2001, 12:24 AM   #1
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Post underdrive pulleys, how do you like/hate them?

I was thinking about buying some ASP pulleys for my '89 GT and was wondering how you guys like/hate yours. I was thinking of buying the ASP set with the underdrive crank and water pump pulley, but with an overdrive pulley for the alternator that lets the vehicle achieve full charge at 700rpm. What's your story, what do you think about pulleys?
thanks,

------------------
Mustang Parts Specialties ripped me off, it could happen to you as well.
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 11:52 AM   #2
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

I am actually curious about the same thing so I figured I would reply to get this back to the top of the page. Hopefully someone will see it now and respond.

later
Scott

------------------
95 Red Mustang GT
Pro 5.0
MAC fenderwall cold air induction kit
Mostly stock(looking to modify)
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 12:28 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Well I love mine, I have the aluminum steeda underdrive pullies. the crank and the waterpump.

I cant say how much they helped cause I installed an off-road X-pipe at the same time but between the two I knocked off 6 tenths and gained three mph. I havent had any cooloing problems at all.

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers, mac cold air fender kit, 3.73 FMS gears, Steeds Tri-ax shifter, Steeda underdrive pullies, Custom off road X-pipe, 2 chamber flow masters, cowl hood, nitto drag radials, ford racing clutch, 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs. (Best E.T. 14.79@93mph @3000ft)
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 12:30 PM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I am using an underdrive pulley on the crank, water pump, and the alternator, but I also have a high flow water pump and heavy duty radiator and have upgraded to the 130amp 3G alternator from the 94/95 GT. My car's cooling and charging systems work more efficiently than they ever did and I am very happy with my setup.

Since you already have the 3G alternator Scott you should be fine as long as your cooling system is working properly.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 01:06 PM   #5
jimberg
Registered Member

I have the BBK underdrive pulleys with stock water pump and stock alternator. The only thing I noticed that is a little annoying is that when I'm at idle the lights will dim a little and then come back up to normal when I start moving. I plan to replace the alternator at some point so that doesn't happen anymore.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 01:47 PM   #6
bada$$lx

I got March pulleys w/ stock alternator and h2o pump......and I have the same problem, with my lights dimming at idle, as jimberg. I'll upgrade to a 130 amper when this one goes

------------------
'90 LX 5.0;12K original miles;FMS 3.55 gears; March pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads;BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties;MSD 6AL ignition w/ blaster 2 coil;FMS E303 cam;Pro-M 75mm MAF;BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit;Southside weld-on subs;9" K&N cone filter charger;Hurst shifter;Cervini 3" turbo hood;A/C delete;gutted cats;2 chamber Flomasters;Corbeau racing seats;FMS 30# injectors;JMS custom chip;Holley 190lb fp;TFS track heat intake (12.299 @ 113mph w/ a 1.78 60')
....soon to be b
Old 10-08-2001, 02:24 PM   #7
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Decisions, decisions

For what it's worth, you would probably be fine going with just the crank and water pump pulleys. Pulleys are a must have mod though. You won't find another mod as cheap as pulleys that will give you as much power as they do.

Go for it!
Old 10-08-2001, 03:29 PM   #8
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Question

I'm not worried about the charge on my car, but how do the 94/95 GT's find the cooling when your driving in the real hot temps (>95*F)?

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 05:47 PM   #9
todd95GT
Registered Member

I'm in South Florida and have the full set of pulleys. Even though I'm using the stock temp gauge in my 95, it never runs hotter than normal, and this is coming out of the Florida summer. I do hate the idle though, the lights get very dim. Seems okay once the rpm's get up there though.

------------------
Todd
1995 GT/T-5
Pulleys; 65 mm TB; Flowmaster cat-back; Mac off road H-pipe; FMS aluminum driveshaft; short-throw shifter; HD clutch; Cobra R's; Cobra front and wing
todd95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 11:12 PM   #10
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Thanks, guys! I'm definately going to get the pulleys now. I eventually plan on getting a 130 amp alternator in the future and i think that charging may be an issue because of the relocated battery (lots of resistance in that 15 feet of 4 gauge wire), so if it is, i'll just buy a new alternator or take the pulleys back off temporarily. If not, then i'm set and will be happy
I've heard that pulleys are a realistic 10 horsepower gain and the pulleys i want are like $90 for the 3 pulleys and they're a cool looking zinc (lightweight)!

------------------
Mustang Parts Specialties ripped me off, it could happen to you as well.
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 08:53 AM   #11
whiterod
Registered Member

i have the ford motorsport street pulleys and they didn't do too great at first as far as streetability. My car battery wouldn't get a great charge at night especially in traffic and sometimes in the morning i would have to jump it off. I live in Louisiana and we have hot summers and winters and in traffic on 95+ days my cooling would suffer. I maded two modifications to rid these problems. First i added a 130 amp altenator and then a Black Magic Fan. See my cooling problem was only at idle, so i figured if i got an electric fan that ran wide open at idle i wouldn't have the problem any more and i was right. no more overheating. But pulleys are a great modification, dollar for dollar you can't beat them, but you need to realize with pulleys you are giving something to get something and as long as you keep that in mind you will be alright. good luck

------------------
GT-40X(58cc)heads, cobra upper&lower, FMS 65mm TB, 75mm Bullet, 24# injectors, 190 lph fuel pump, moroso cold air intake, BBK 1 5/8 equal length headers, flowmaster cat back, 1.7 cobra rockers, T5Z gear box, centerforce dual friction, mcleod bullet proof bellhousing, 3.55 gears, hurst billet shifter with over 185,000 miles. thanks to all who contributed
whiterod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 12:48 PM   #12
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

4 GAUGE??? Oh my God! Just kidding, but I'd go to a local auto parts store and order some 2 gauge welding cable. It's pretty cheap and a lot better for running a battery in the trunk/hatch.

Todd, I have the same alternator as you and I let my car idle as low as it will possibly run to get the most lope out of my cam which is around 700RPM Anyway, my lights never dim. Maybe you need to check some connections? Or maybe you just have a bit more of an under drive than I do.

For what it's worth, you can't always think of under drive pulleys as bieng the "Best bang for the buck" really, because sometimes people have problems and have to upgrade other areas to keep up with the pulleys. But you'll have an even better car if you have to go that route. You'll just be a little poorer than you expected.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241