MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-09-2001, 05:58 PM   #1
blueneonman1
Registered Member

Post I know this is rice but hear me out...

ok, i know this is rice, but i just wanted to try to understand these ricers by doing something they do...cutting stock springs to lower the car. Now trust me, i am in no way going to keep my car like this; it is merely a test until i get FMS C springs in a week. My question is has anyone done this or had a friend that has. Any pointers, etc. Thanks

------------------
Blueneonman - '95 5.0L Mustang GT Convertible | K&N Custom Cold Air Intake | FMS 9mm Wires | Hollow Cats | Flowmaster 2 Chambers | BBK Subframes | 6-pt Rollcage | King Cobra Clutch | FMS Adjustable Clutch Cable | B&M Short Throw | Coolest Neon Lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Homepage: http://www16.brinkster.com/blueneonman/
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 06:10 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I worked with a guy that done that to an 89 mustang LX and it sat crooked as hell..
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 06:35 PM   #3
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

a friend of mine had the springs cut and heated on her 93 GT vert. it sits even, and she says it doesn't ride too too bad, but not like it should with proper springs

------------------
89 GT AOD w/ shift kit, B&M rachet shifter, Trickflow intake, Crane (E-type) cam, 70Tb, 75MAF, 1.6 Rockers, Pulleys, MAC headers and H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, K&N, 3 core radiator, white face gauges, custom interior, cobra R rims. 14.9 at 95.07mph with stock 2.73's.

89LX 2.3 Notch, daily beater!
MY89GT
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 12:03 AM   #4
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation

hey blue, i have done it. it works quite well for a cheap way out! when you cut it, DO NOT CUT IT WITH A TORCH! cut it with a hacksaw or a sawzall. cut a half of the coil off equals ROUGHLY about 7/8" drop for the front. the rear i dont know. i never done the rear. cut less off in the rear than you would do the front. now it all depends on how many miles are on these coil springs. the more miles, the more fatigued they are meaning more of a drop. the one i did had about 40k on them. remember you dont DECREASE the spring rate when you cut them, but you actually increase the spring rate! the problem is with that and compared to the motorsport springs is wheel travel. my friend raced his 86 GT at Watkins Glen with the cut springs and he had no problem, but it seemed to bottom out a little easier. oh yeah, if you do your springs yourself, WRAP THE BALL JOINT WITH A S H I T LOAD OF DUCT TAPE so when the spring pops out, it doesnt rip the ball jonit boot. trust me, i've been there! hope i helped.

------------------
90 LX Black on Black
Flowbabies, h-pipe, Mac unequal shorties, K&N, Hurst, subframes, Motorsport springs, MSD coil, 3.55's
srv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 12:54 AM   #5
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

i've done it too, just the front though
i cut off exactly one coil and it dropped it almost exactly 1.5"
i dont have too bad of a problem bottoming out either

------------------
88 Notch, B&M Ripper, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframes, 65mm TB, March ram air ,MSD coil, U/L control arms, 155lph f/p, Crane Adj.FPR, Nitto drag radials, best 1/4--> 13.76@101.4 on a 2.17 60ft
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 05:30 PM   #6
blueneonman1
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for their help. Maybe it wont be as bad as everyone says. But it's still only going to be like this for a week.

------------------
Blueneonman - '95 5.0L Mustang GT Convertible | K&N Custom Cold Air Intake | FMS 9mm Wires | Hollow Cats | Flowmaster 2 Chambers | BBK Subframes | 6-pt Rollcage | King Cobra Clutch | FMS Adjustable Clutch Cable | B&M Short Throw | Coolest Neon Lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Homepage: http://www16.brinkster.com/blueneonman/
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote