MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-16-2001, 12:17 AM   #1
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Question And now a word on hidden Horsepower

Based upon my signature, I was curious if anyone would think that I would benefit from ignition as far as power goes. Be aware that everything except the plugs and wires(9mm) are STOCK. That means stock from FACTORY. However, everything works. But still, the question remains, if maybe I replace the cap, rotor, coil etc. will it render me some extra power?

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, GT-40Y Turbo Swirl aluminum heads, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, adjustable fuel regulator, Steeda strut tower and subframes 14.0@102 MPH on G-tech;?MPH at track. I know, I know I am working on it. Now I have FRPP 1.7 RRs and new lifters, yes the ticking is gone!!!
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 08:57 AM   #2
ALS85GT
Registered Member

Cool

An after market ignition will increase performance and fuel economy. How much depends on the mods made to the car. The more mods, the more benefits. Even a stock engine will appreciate a hotter spark. You should also be able to increase spark plug gap(better spark). I use Mallory ignition. my 2cents......But I'm sure anyone would agree that there are other mods which will give more noticable results, like a gear change.....
ALS85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 09:47 AM   #3
PKRWUD

The ignition upgrades you mention could and should be done, but for reliability, not performance. If you notice any improvement at all, it will be because the parts that were replaced were sub-standard in condition.

Mallory? I will never own another Mallory product again, but that's just my personal opinion. Flashy stickers, though.

~C

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 10:11 AM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Yeah Mallory isn't the way I'd go either. MSD seems to be the local favorite.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 10:34 AM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

Agree with PKRWUD here.

Replacing the ignition parts with new stuff won't hurt a thing but tests have shown that most 'High-Performance' ignition parts do little to really increase power. Reliability and possible improved gas mileage is the usual result.

I would recommend using what I use with good results; Stock distributor (very efficient) with fresh rotor and a brass-terminal cap, Crane PS-91 coil, Taylor Spiral Pro wires and Autolite plugs, changed every 10,000 miles.
The hotter coil, quality wires and fresh cap/rotor should supply plenty of spark to ignite the mixture in those aftermarket heads. Dead-on reliable for me and never an ignition related problem with this set-up.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 11:43 AM   #6
SlowStang2
Registered Member

I thought it was the coil that was pretty much as good as any aftermarket coil. I didnt know the distributor was good enough for higher performance engines. It is just right now I feel I am at a brick wall and I am looking for any new upgrades besides a power adder. I was just recently brought to the attention of a JMS chip that supposedly does wonders. SO maybe that is where I will go, but still. Ignition should be done first.

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, GT-40Y Turbo Swirl aluminum heads, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, adjustable fuel regulator, Steeda strut tower and subframes 14.0@102 MPH on G-tech;?MPH at track. I know, I know I am working on it. Now I have FRPP 1.7 RRs and new lifters, yes the ticking is gone!!!
Old 10-16-2001, 05:55 PM   #7
Mach 1
Registered Member

Your cars is 7 years old. The rotor and cap should have been replaced as part of regular tune-up a long time ago. Yes, change those items with quality replacements. Save your money on the coil, the factory coil does the job just fine, and there is no benefit from changing it.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 09:08 PM   #8
dinomite
The Dude

I agree with Mr 5.0 and PKRWUD, at the least you should replace your cap and rotor.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 02:23 AM   #9
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Consider it a done deal. However, a step further(MSD) would be pointless right now?

------------------
Old 10-17-2001, 02:38 AM   #10
Mach 1
Registered Member

MSD ignition box is good insurance when you have a power adder. Will it give you extra performance now? No. You might see quicker starting, but thats about it. The factory ignition system is very efficient, as it has to be for gas mileage and emissions. It is a good mod? yes. have some extra money, go for it.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 12:56 PM   #11
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Well, since a cap and rotor aren't expensive I might as well do it, since they are stock. Brass-terminal cap? Is this what Accel makes? I see the Accel kit locally and was wondering if they are junk, cuz I am not too fond of Accel.

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, GT-40Y Turbo Swirl aluminum heads, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, adjustable fuel regulator, Steeda strut tower and subframes, 1.7 RRs 13.8@100 MPH It's about time.
Old 10-20-2001, 01:38 PM   #12
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

SlowStang2:

The Accel Performance Cap & Rotor kit has a brass-terminal cap. About $25. Good piece.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote