MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-06-2001, 11:23 AM   #21
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I see you got a new web site up Chris. I like the Newspaper theme.
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 04:06 PM   #22
PKRWUD

I redid my site and started a second one for the team, but they're both mostly photo albums. What's cool is that the photos turn into a viewer controlled full size slide show after selecting the first picture. I need to add a page to the team page about winning the championship.

I agree as far as adding ice to the intake when cruising! I was just talking about the old days when all we did was run 1/4's. Besides, I had a Holley Strip Dominator intake manifold, which rose so high off the engine, you could reach your hand underneath it and grab the other valve cover! There was lots of room for ice packs!

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 05:40 PM   #23
Coupe Devil

Hey guys, About this cooler idea. After reading this I was thinking about possibly building one for my drag car, but mine will be a carb. car. I plan on running a velocity stack on top of the carb with no filter, just a screen. I was wondering about attaching a cooler between the hood scoop and the stack. How much would it restrict airflow? Is this possible? I plan on running a stock hood with a cobra jet hood scoop. I dont want to buy a cowl hood and start hacking it up. Or later maybe a Cobra R with the SVO scoop.

------------------
'93 lx notch 4 banger (drive it to work currently), Using the 306, 8.8 posi, 4.10's, summit rear cover, elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, Heddman 1-3/4 long tubes, holley 650 d.p.carb., built c-?, e-303, full autometer guages, msd box, mallory unilite dist, and coil, roll cage, summit seat, subs, 15x10's in the back with slicks, skinnies up front, custom dash, all in use for 1988 Hatch Drag Car.
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 05:25 AM   #24
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

It isn't going to hurt airflow if you buy a big enough cooler. If I can explain this to where you can understand you will see what I mean...

Take a 4" square tube that has a funnel on one end that opens up to 4" x 8". This 4" square tube would have a surface area of 16 square inches if you took a cross section at the narrowest point. Now, looking at a 4" x 8" tranny cooler (32 square inches of surface area), suppose that the cooling lines and fins take up 50% of the area that this cooler occupies, so the other 50% is the space where air flows through. That leaves you with 16 square inches of surface area open to flow air, so you have absolutely no restriction to worry about.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:33 AM   #25
Coupe Devil

Thanks man, all I gotta do know is call Summit.

------------------
'93 lx notch 4 banger (drive it to work currently), Using the 306, 8.8 posi, 4.10's, summit rear cover, elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, Heddman 1-3/4 long tubes, holley 650 d.p.carb., built c-?, e-303, full autometer guages, msd box, mallory unilite dist, and coil, roll cage, summit seat, subs, 15x10's in the back with slicks, skinnies up front, custom dash, all in use for 1988 Hatch Drag Car.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:35 AM   #26
Coupe Devil

Delete double post. Stupid ragged computer
------------------

[This message has been edited by pony_power_90 (edited 11-07-2001).]
Old 11-07-2001, 09:30 PM   #27
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Basically we are talking about an intercooler for a N/A car.
The weather would have to be darn hot to see any noticeable gains for all your work. 90 degree air would make a nice little drop in tmep, but 60 degree air really won't be affected much. Too little gain for the work. I think it would be better to put your time and money into something else. I would be more into the idea if N/A race cars would use it, but because one guy with a quick mustang uses it doesn't convince me.

------------------
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L: Dynomax cat-back, MN-12 perf. offroad downtubes and Y-pipe w/ Magnaflow resonator, 80mm MAF with cone filter, B&M trans cooler, Inject-Tech chip, MAC U/D pulleys, KVR front brake upgrade, SVO 70mm TB. 15.2 @ 91 w/ just chip and MAF. 14's next time to the track.

No Longer own: 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 10:56 PM   #28
Coupe Devil

I agree with you, 91LX2BFAST, I am building a n/a drag car and that is why I am gonna try it. Granted I am not gonna use a Holley blue pump and a $100 dollar cooler but I think for a $100 bucks I think I can build the tank, buy a decent cooler, and a resonable 12v universial inline fuel pump. I think it will work but if not I will come up with something else to use this set up for, Can you imagine a 12v, self cooling, Beer pump.

------------------
Old 11-08-2001, 06:47 AM   #29
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

It was about 60 degrees out that day, the thermometer inside his filter box showed 80 degrees even after the car had sat for awhile. When the cooler was turned on it dropped to 40 degrees. Just because it's 60 outside doesn't mean the air in your filter box is 60 degrees too. Especially after running the car and the engine warms up.

I'll find out what kind of difference the cooler makes if I can contact the guy. I know he made a few runs without it then turned it on for a few to see what kind of difference it actually made.
Old 11-08-2001, 01:15 PM   #30
topless tire fryer
All show, some go 4 now!

Skip the extra weight of the cooler and ice and just move north.

------------------
'95 Chrome Yellow GT ragtop, KN filter charger, Dynomax cat back, Accel plugs and wires, Chromed '95 Cobra R's (bought for $19.95, now 2 are warped!
Our baby <a href="http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1883">
topless tire fryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 04:59 PM   #31
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by topless tire fryer:
Skip the extra weight of the cooler and ice and just move north.

Yep'
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 02:09 PM   #32
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Ok, here's an email I got from his friend explaining the car.

"1st and foremost, his car is GUTTED. From there, its a 302 with lightly ported E7 heads, he removed the thermactor bumps, he *may* have matched the upper to lower and lower to heads, but I'm not sure. Its a speed density car. 1-1/2" lontubes, 2-1/2" h-pipe, ran open. 3.70 gears, almost every accesory has been removed, smog, ac, power steering, its not much of a street car anymore, but that was/is his goal, just to race it and not drive it. The timing is bumped and thats about it. He did a stock rebuild on the motor, just dingleberry honed the cylinders. Not much there for suspension, he runs 26x8.5 slicks. Launching @ 5000 rpms, last week he got 1.64-60'. He also has a HAL, tubular K-member. I think he may have added 4 cylinder springs, but no shocks or struts or control arms."
Old 11-09-2001, 02:56 PM   #33
Coupe Devil

Cool man, my car should be a little faster than his. I am using alot of aftermarket "Better" parts that he doesnt run and my car is gutted also. Everything is coming off my car and it is a few more cubes and much more porting than he has, bigger slicks, but mine is a carb car. Well see what happens.

------------------