MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-06-2001, 11:29 AM   #1
gray87GT
Registered Member

Post lifter question

Sorry for all the questions. I have heard I don't need new lifters, but my question is do I have to soak them before I install them. The guy who is helping me says I do....is he correct??? thanks
gray87GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 04:00 PM   #2
70stang
Registered Member

If you are changing your cam, then I would recommend getting new lifters. Your old lifters have developed a wear pattern that matches your old cam. If you install a new cam and use your old lifters, then you will regrind your cam to match your lifters.
70stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 04:36 PM   #3
spinemup
Registered Member

... the stock 5.0 ho rollers can be reused. just keep them in the same orientation that you took them out. and no you don't really have to soak them in oil unless your not using them for a while. i pulled the lifters in my car threw the cam in and then put the lifters back. don't sweat it just make sure you use plenty of assembly lube on the cam and rollers. a flat tappet motor would be different though... i would reccomend changing the lifters in a flat tappet motor if you were doing a cam change.
spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 04:39 PM   #4
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I would recommend installing new roller lifters. The stock lifters do wear out and with a new cam with more power can cause them to break. I just installed and new cam and installed new lifters. You should be able to purchase roller lifters for around 150. Alot less then having to tear down your motor after an old lifter shatters.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Cobra Computer, Cobra Transmission, GT40 Ported and Polished Upper and Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, March Underdrive Pulleys, Electric Fan, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, NGK Plugs, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 77mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, High Tolerant Painted Calipers and Drums.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote