MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-07-2001, 06:10 PM   #1
b kennedy
Registered Member

Post Suspension prob's getting old! HELP!

I need some help...I have a 94GT, T-5, basic bolt on's, lowered 1 1/2" and when I've been driving my car for around 20 minutes (after its heated up) or so and turn my steering wheel I have this really loud rubbing/squeaking/moaning sound coming from my front end...I've spent close to $1,500 parts & labor to get this problem fixed with no luck...Parts replaced --poly bushings on all the front end parts, kyb struts, power steering pump...Needless to say I still have this loud *** noise! What do you all think it is? Possibly the steering rack? I'm out of ideas and tired of spending money... Please help me out!!!
b kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 06:56 PM   #2
Skankin
Registered Member

If you used a rebuilt PS pump, that could be it... the quality can be pretty bad.

If you've got A/C, the PS reservoir is pretty close to the exhaust header... and it'll cook the fluid. Regardless, at the very least, use semi synthetic ATF, and change it annually.

It could be the rack. Some of them have Al components that cause the other metal to corrode. The internal leak won't be noticed, and the corrosion will be circulated through the pump... wrecking the pump.

An underdrive crank pulley will help save your accessories, and free up some HP.

If you change the pump again, get a larger PS pulley so it doesn't turn as fast. I got an Al pulley off an 89 Continental... it's just a little larger.

I also put a PS cooler on it. A small Trannie cooler would work.
Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 07:38 PM   #3
89 ATI
Registered Member

Check to see if there are any shiney spots on the plastic inside the fender. Mine rubs once in a while and you can see where when I pull the wheels off.

------------------
89 GT convertible, Kenny Brown level 5, 14# Procharger
89 ATI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 07:59 PM   #4
b kennedy
Registered Member

I wish it was just my tires rubbing ATI, I would have saved a buttload of loot!
So basically it could be one of the above... I did have a rebuilt pump installed and I don't think that's the problem, but then again who knows...BTW, if the pump were bad or causing the loud noises would I get shudder in the steering? Reason being, I don't have any shudder...You mentioned using synthetic fluid, is that for the ps pump or the tranny? Like I mentioned before I only hear these loud noises once the car has been running for at least 20 mins and I don't have to be driving the car to get these noises...I can be sitting at a light, turn the wheel right or left and hear the noise...Strange thing is you can't hear the loud *** noise from outside the car...What gives?
b kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 12:20 AM   #5
repoman
Registered Member

mr. kennedy, try jacking the car up when it starts to make the noise , if it goes away then load the left then right side susp. with a jack under the control arm at the ball joint. to see if its coming from one side or the other,if the noise is still there when the cars weight is off the susp. its could be the rack or the pump.
repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 10:32 AM   #6
Skankin
Registered Member

Ya, the power steering uses ATF (type F I think)... not your typical PS fluid.
Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote