MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-09-2001, 12:22 PM   #1
withamc
Registered Member

Post Clean engine bay, hiding harness ??

I've seen alot of engine pics with clean fender wells. How do you go about routing the harnesses in the fenders? What other items (solenoid, etc) can be tucked away as well? Any other tips, tricks?

------------------
86 GT, GT40P heads, Cobra cam, 1.7 RR's, Cobra intake, 65mm TB, 73mm Vortech, 24# injectors, MAC GT40P headers, 2-1/2" BBK H-pipe (w/cats), Flowmasters, 3.55s.
Crane 2031 on order
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 07:54 AM   #2
Mach 1
Registered Member

It is a lot of work, and not something you should attempt if you have to ask this question in the first place. The answer is self explanatory, remove the wiring harness, and reroute in inside the fender wells, making holes for the wires to run into the engine compartment. If you dont have any wire splicing experience, dont try it.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 09:06 PM   #3
withamc
Registered Member

I do have electrical experience (I'm an electrical engineer), however, not having done this before I am looking for some guidance. I'm sure many who have done this weren't born with the knowledge.
Specifically:
Do you pull the harness back and feed it through the fender near the firewall? Do you leave the harness running along the firewall or do you find somewhere to tuck that away as well? Do you cut and splice (I would probably solder and shrink-wrap, but you get the point), and if so, what? Obviously you can't put some items behind the fender, but I'm sure the solenoid will fit. What else?
I'm not looking for step by step instructions, but some guidelines would be nice.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-11-2001, 12:41 AM   #4
Mach 1
Registered Member

there is no "one way" to do this job. Obviously, you would jack the car, remove the front wheels, remove the inner fender wells, and just start rerouting the wires any way you can get it to work, and what ever looks good to you. Just dont be sloppy, use wire clamps, gromments, etc...you get the idea.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 11:46 AM   #5
89LXNB
Registered Member

It is some work, but it looks real clean when your finished so do not be discouraged from doing it even if you have not done it before. Doing something you have never done gives you experience and is an excellent way to grow and to learn, always try and even if you fail you will be far better prepared with a much greater chance for success. I would suggest doing one run first. Go with the mass air meter, and get rid of that convoluted tube that comes up and over the strut tower. Pull the fender, and the inner shell, and just take a look, it's really not that bad. It's something you have to sort of figure as you go but if your an E.E. it should be no issue. I am in the process of doing this and I have no experience at all.
Common sense counts for a lot.
Good Luck.
89LXNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 08:41 PM   #6
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

I am in the process of doing mine. Remember one thing, the route inside the engine bay is shorter than around the outside of it. The only help I can give you is to say be patient, it gets fun.

------------------
88workcar
1988 Mustang LX - 12.17 @ 112 MPH!
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 10:24 PM   #7
withamc
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. Reading your replies and taking a close look at my fenders, it looks like it's something I can do a bit at a time.
Old 02-13-2001, 01:49 AM   #8
MOUSETRAP
Registered Member

Talking

Try "Forced347" on the corral.net. He definitely has the best/cleanest engine bay i have ever seen.

------------------
87GT Vortech S-trim,Aftercooler, 155intank pump, 24# injectors, 75mm pro-m, cobra intake, exhaust, 3.73's, mega bite jr's, Central coastal mustangs drag springs and some other freebies.
MOUSETRAP is offline   Reply With Quote