MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-19-2001, 10:20 PM   #1
withamc
Registered Member

Post Help! 3G in 86 - where's the stator wire?

Help! I've read the two web pages re: installing a 3G, but here's my problem:
Both articles refer to splicing into the stator wire to run to the alternator. Smithmonte's article says to splice into the center (white/black) on the oval connector and run it to the stator connector on the 3G. My connectors only have two wires each coming from them. The big one has the two black/orange that splice into one, and the oval connector has the green/red (which is in the center) and the yellow/white. Neithor one HAS a stator connector on it, or does it? What do I do?

------------------
86 GT, GT40P heads, Cobra cam, 1.7 RR's, Cobra intake, 65mm TB, 73mm Vortech, 24# injectors, MAC GT40P headers, 2-1/2" BBK H-pipe (w/cats), Flowmasters, 3.55s.
Crane 2031 on order
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 12:49 AM   #2
withamc
Registered Member

Apparently my wiring is different than all the rest of you lucky dogs. What sounded like a really easy upgrade just turned into a "let-the-car-sit-in-driveway-until-the-order-from-pa-performance-gets-here" upgrade. I already returned the "core" (my factory 2G) to Pep Boys, so there it sits. PA-Performance has the upgrade plugs for 86 and earlier Mustangs - hope they don't take too long. Gotta wait for the longer pushrods, so a couple days won't kill me.

------------------
86 GT, GT40P heads, Cobra cam, 1.7 RR's, Cobra intake, 65mm TB, 73mm Vortech, 24# injectors, MAC GT40P headers, 2-1/2" BBK H-pipe (w/cats), Flowmasters, 3.55s.
Crane 2031 on order
Old 02-20-2001, 10:23 AM   #3
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Okay, the way I did this was, splice the two large orange/black ones down to one wire and connect that to the post terminal on the back of the alternator.

As for the others, I connected them by simply matching colours (for some reason it works great that way)but thats using a new oval connector that fits the alternator, that's what you'll need too. As for the stator, personally I never connected it, but the other connector you'd need would have a white wire that you'd match to the white wire on the oval connector that would go to the other 1 connection terminal on the alternator. Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by 86GT (edited 02-20-2001).]
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 01:44 AM   #4
withamc
Registered Member

For any other 86 owners that try this - the instructions on smithmonte's page and the CORRAL instructions are for 87-93. Maybe I missed that. PA-Performance has a plug you can order that solves your (my) problems for about $16 plus shipping. I should be rolling by this weekend.

------------------
86 GT, GT40P heads, 2031 is in-waiting on longer pushrods, 1.7 RR's, Cobra intake, 65mm TB, 73mm Vortech, 24# injectors, MAC GT40P headers, 2-1/2" BBK H-pipe (w/cats), Flowmasters, 3.55s.
Old 02-22-2001, 11:21 PM   #5
92GT5ohred
Registered Member

Did you get you're plug and how did it work ? Sometimes it is hard to get good service from big companies on small orders...

92GT5ohred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 02:29 AM   #6
withamc
Registered Member

PA-Performance was very helpful. They're strictly a mail-order online company. Rick called me twice and e-mailed me 3 times to make sure I got exactly what I needed, then sent it priority mail. I should get it tomorrow. Check them out if you need starters or alternaters, I believe they come with a lifetime warranty and they're competitively priced. New parts, not Pep Boy re-man crap.