MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-22-2001, 12:15 PM   #1
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Question 3 Row radiator conversion/flex fan troubles

I needed a new radiator for my 90 Coupe and Auto Zone listed a 2 or 3 row unit. I assumed the car had a 3 row and brought it home. Pull the old one out, it's a 2 row. Notice the 3 row has a trans cooler, no biggie, I have a 5 speed, so perhaps they just put a cooler in all aftermarket radiators??

Try to bolt it back up, the hold down clamps don't fit too good, had to "massage" one and cut some of the rubber piece to clamp it down. Is there a different set of hold down brackets and rubbers for the 3 row stock units?

I noticed the totally cracked stock plastic fan. I could not overlook that, and had to get a flex fan and 2" spacer as that was the only thing I could get the same day. Boy those suckers are sharp and tricky to bolt back into the water pump. Slip the shroud back on and almost no clearence between the bottom section of the fan and the shroud. I can slip a blister pack card in between the fan and shroud, and it does not hit when running. Yes this was a 18" flexalite reverse rotation fan, about the same diameter as the crappy plastic fan was. Should I get a deeper spacer or leave it alone???

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Stone stock soon to be daily driver
74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 apart in garage, getting a 454 to put next to it
www.chevellepages.com/folingo
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 01:10 PM   #2
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Well, i cant be much help, but when my fan decided to let go and dive through my radiator, i went to pep boys, they recomended if i have ac, to run the bigger 3 core (think 109$), i too had problems with the hold down brackets, i just cut some rubber out like you did, but still didnt fit as good as i wanted.

And as for the fan, went ahead and replaced with an electric fan that is equipped with it's own shroud.

But the electric fan is worth the cash IMO

------------------
90 lx coupe: Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil,advncd ignition,3-core radiatr, FMS alum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs, 3chbr flows.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 97.80
Best 60': 2.0047

next mods: subframes, mac h-pipe
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 01:24 PM   #3
stangsrule
Registered Member

Exclamation

Take it from me, flexfans are dangerous!!! When I intalled my SC, i noticed that my factory fan was cracked bad around the hub and was afraid that it might come apart and cause major damage. So I priced stock replacement fans and thought they were too expensive when I could go to Autozone and get a flex fan for around $30. About 1 year later my flex fan came apart and did $2000 worth of damage... I have since decided that the price of a stock replacement (which does a very good job by the way) isn't that expensive after all, but the electrics are better yet and they CAN'T cause all the damage a flex fan can. Of course AFTER all the mayhem with mine I have heard dozens of stories about the same kind of thing happening to others... Since you already have it, I would go ahead and use it while I saved up for a good electric fan. I like the Black Magic real well. It mounts to the top and bottom of the radiator instead of through the core like most and it comes with a bracket to mount your overflow bottle to and it already has the thermo switch and a/c relay mounted and ready to go. But if I were you I would start looking for something to replace that flex fan... Good luck!!

------------------
92GT all the free stuff and a few bolt-ons, lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, etc.

[This message has been edited by stangsrule (edited 02-22-2001).]
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 11:01 AM   #4
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Thanks for the heads up on the flex fan. This was a Flexalite reverse rotation unit that cost about $60. This is supposed to be good to 10,000 RPM bla bla. I will inspect this regularly and maybe order the stock plastic fan. I did not want to wait the 3 days for it to come in at the time.

Anyone else try to put the 3 row radiator in??

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Stone stock soon to be daily driver
74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 apart in garage, getting a 454 to put next to it
www.chevellepages.com/folingo
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 05:23 AM   #5
n2ojunkie
Registered Member

ya ive got a pepboys 3 row. had to modify the mounts like youve described. becides that every thing else has been fine. no mustang came stock with that rad its just heavy duty offering by the rad manifactures. you shouldnt have any probems with it. the flex fan is just bad. it robs a lot of power slowing you mustang down prety badly. and a slow mustang is a bad mustang and we dont like bad mustang. so get that elec fan or a new clucth fan.
n2ojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote