MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-23-2001, 05:43 PM   #1
stroker393

Exclamation HELP! Should I stroke my '69 351W?

I have a '93 ex-drag GT that was doing 9's and I'm im mid-process of a street legal engine build-up. The car has a 10pt cage, full drag suspension and the previous owner was nice enough to give me a Cartech fuel system(any help on installing it would be helpful)also. I pulled a '69 351W out of a Cougar and it has already been bored .030 over and is in a hot tank currently. My question is whether or not I should stroke it to either 377 or 393? I am VERY worried about it lacking the 4bolt main and since it's going to be driven daily hard, and occassionaly at the strip, I don't want to break things if I can prevent it. My parts include a set of Edlebrock Performer heads and Performer RPM intake, 70mm throttle body, 30lb injectors(are the TB and injectors to small for a stroker??), Cartech complete fuel system, cold air induction kit. A you can see I still have a way to go including a C-4 tranny, mass air meter, CPU chip, etc. but the time has come to make the decision as to whether or not to stroke it. Also, it has to be street legal passing Massachusetts air laws. Any help would be appreciated I'm a rookie that wants to kick some Chevy butt.
Old 02-24-2001, 01:15 AM   #2
Eddy351
Registered Member

Edelbrock is a good head for making desent powr and great torque in engines up to 360 cubes.you probably wont make as much power in a stroker with these heads do to there small intake runners and moderate flow. the power you do make will be alot lower and wont pull as high. however you will make more torque but with a fuel injected edel. 351w that aint going to be a problem. i have a edel headed 351 w stock shortblock with forged pistons that runs 10s on motor and 9s on 100 shot .im carberated and run mid 1.40 60 fts on motor.car and driver weighs 3100 . a c4 trannie and 3800 ati con. if you have your heart on a stroker try AFR . they are fine stock and there is alot left to get out of them later if needed . just wanted give you some stuff to think about ive been considering a stoker also . hope this helped a liitte. Ed
Eddy351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 01:28 PM   #3
stroker393

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the problem is I live in Massachusetts and we just adopted Cali's strict emissions laws. All the shops recently stopped doing Inspections due to the cost of installing dyno's. My biggest concern is passing the emmission's test, and that was my reason for choosing the Edelbrock's. After talking with Representative's from Edelbrock, Trickflow, AFR, Summit, etc. the general concensus was that the heads that would pass a Cali. type emissions test easiest were the Edelbrock's. I just have to live with the potential 20 hp loss.

As far as the stroker issue, I'd like to get as much HP as possible within my budget. What type of HP range will I be in if I stroke the motor versus leaving it at 351` cubes??
Old 02-24-2001, 07:43 PM   #4
Eddy351
Registered Member

I have to be honest i dont know much about smog related promblems. i do know how to make power . i guess i would have to know more about your power band desired what gear and converter to match. i do know you really wont gain h.p with a stroker like yours just torque. and it wont want high Rpms a much. if you need more torque and not going have much gear than a narrow power band is fine. See im looking at the whole picture. That is what makes cars fast. I horse power numbers is all you care about leave it stock stroke If the heads are 202 they really nead opened up in the bowls . its the same size in the 190 head . this makes it a true 202 package. with the right converter match the biggest cam that passes safely highest compression. very important ! just be sure to match everything that affects the cars power in the 60 ft . my whole car was built around trying to keep it wit a good 60 ft . Honestly thats the biggest secret out there on a low budget car . I feel 375 hp is possible and stll keep it legal. Like i said smog laws are new to me, luckily there isnt any enforced here yet.
This is only my opinion so good luck . Ed
Eddy351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 10:49 PM   #5
drag79stang
Dont make me take my belt off

Talking

Why stay small. Build a BIG one. Put together an Eagle 418 kit. You've already got it 'bored' to proper size.
572.6 HP @ 6400 rpm, and 517 ft. lbs. TQ @ 5200 rpm with my combination. (that was with old victor jr intake. Closer to 600 with Super Victor and new msd dist.
In either case, BIGGER IS BETTER!
drag79stang is offline   Reply With Quote