MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-26-2001, 02:55 AM   #1
chris91LX
Registered Member

Question Electric fan install questions...

How complicated is the install on an electric fan such as the Black Magic? Does it come with everything I need to put it in? Any thing I need to know before I go electric? Thanks in advance guys.

------------------
91 LX 5.0
Z t-5, 3:73 gear, Vortech 73mm Mass Air, Accufab 65mm TB, BBK underdrives, Crane HI-6S Ignition, BBK unequal length headers, Bassani x pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, Kenny Brown Super Subs, Factory Five Control Arms, Mac cold air kit and more to come!
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 03:24 AM   #2
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Yea, i got the BM that is specific for 5.0's, and at the flex-a-lite website there is additional instructions, but you can take your radiator out, and the brackets fit it on ther, then it can all go in as one piece, it also has a built on shroud, the wiring was complicated at first, but it's nothing, and you have to splice into the ac wire, forgot wich one, so the fan is always on, when ac is on.

It also has a manual switch option, but i jut set it wwhere i want it under the hood and it works from there, but my car has never ran cooler, and im running in the 13's thnx to this mod

and yes it comes with everything needed, except the manual switch, but u can use a toggle for that.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 09:18 AM   #3
joakim

Horsepower ?
Old 02-26-2001, 11:02 AM   #4
92Rustang
Registered Member

I agree with 90dpscoupe the install is pretty easy.I did however use a new 3 core FMS rad. the brakets for the fan did not fit so good. I had to make two new ones(no big deal).
I also use the switch under the hood. I tried to mount one in the car. I started the fan and the switch melted in about four seconds. If you do this do not get a little cheap plastic swtich. You will need a couple of amp metal one.

I really like this fan! I'm not sure about how much HP it freed up thought.

------------------
Check my site for mod
www.fordmustanggt.com
92Rustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 12:30 PM   #5
chris91LX
Registered Member

Sounds great. Where can I find that fan? The only one I know of is the Black Magic.
Old 02-26-2001, 01:33 PM   #6
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

i have seen alot of people run expensive aftermarket fans and they do not cool like a plain jane mark VIII fan or what i use a v-6 tourus fan out of a a/c'ed wagon..if you dont mind fabing up your own brakets i suggest running one of these..the tourus fan is good enuff to cool a alum headed, with other work mustang running a 4cly radiator with ease..something to think about

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 01:00 AM   #7
chris91LX
Registered Member

Lightbulb

BM = Black Magic. I must have had a brain cramp this morning. That's what I get for waking up before noon. Duh
Old 02-27-2001, 02:23 AM   #8
Skankin
Registered Member

The old MarkVIII (93 I think) was incredible... (I got mine from the wrecker for $50). People thought it was too noisy, so they changed it. Anything newer is basically the same as an SN95, but the SN95 shroud will fit better. I highly recommend them... the aftermarket fans don't pull what they claim.

You'll need a 130 amp alternator... I got a brand new ford unit for about $160.

I used the www.psm1.com variflow controller. I'm not sure if they're still available, but I probably wouldn't put out that money again. Just wire the low speed (centre prong) to your ignition (using a low-amp switch to a high-amp relay), and get the appropriate thermostat-switch for the high speed (shouldn't cost more than $30 total).

------------------
'89.5 5L LX, hatch, Medium Canyon Red, 155K Km (No winters), 5sp, 3.08, GT interior, a/c, Alpine CD, K/N, Crane PS91, Walbro 190 LPH, March Pulleys, Mr. Gasket 180 therm (HP balanced), 3 core rad, MarkVIII fan, Variflow controller, Polygraphite front bushings, FMS-5300B springs, 6 KYB's, 73mm Calipers, Maximum Motorsport 4pt chassis brace, Western Motorsport Racing's Sub-frame connectors. Re-ringed bottom end, conv. motor mounts, melling oil pump, FMS-C50 waterpump, GT40P heads (blended, polli
Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 03:20 AM   #9
rtz
Registered Member

I might get one of these someday.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/175.htm

Here's those install instructions.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...an/index.shtml

I don't really like those wires sticking out of the top of it though.

Maybe I could re-route them better somehow?
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:50 AM   #10
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

I dont mind because everyhting is right where you can find it, spayed connectors) and i just coverd the wires with that cheap plastic flex wire protector.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 11:39 AM   #11
chris91LX
Registered Member

If I'm going to need a new alternator this fan is going on the back burner. Is the new alternator really necessary?
Old 02-27-2001, 02:07 PM   #12
fordgasm
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by rtz:
I don't really like those wires sticking out of the top of it though. Maybe I could re-route them better somehow?
I did not like them either. So I installed the fan upside down and the control wires are now located at the bottom of the fan where you can not see them. If you click on my signature there is a pic of my engine compartment with the fan mounted...

------------------
fordgasm
CLICK HERE to see my 87 GT
fordgasm is offline   Reply With Quote