MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-08-2001, 05:05 PM   #1
sfedenia
Registered Member

Post pinging - detonation ?

I need to get rid of this embarrasing "pinging" or "spark detonation" or what ever it is, only happens at higher rpms, WOT. Not only sounds terrible, but am sure it is no good for the engine. What are the steps to rid pinging? I tanked up on some hi-test, and added a bottle of chevron cleaner, still there. I have not had this since Oct (when adv. timing)last year, but it is back. 95 GT, 10* timing. Any ideas?
sfedenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 05:30 PM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Question

You've put the timing back to 10* and it is still pinging?

I guess I would make sure that you are running a high octane fuel, and double check your timing.

Maybe you've got a hotspot or something?

------------------
White 1995 Mustang GT
Dynomax Cat-Back, Offroad H-pipe, ADS chip, K&N Filters w/o Air Silencer
My 1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 05:41 PM   #3
sfedenia
Registered Member

yes, timing is back at 10-11 btdc. I think I just got some bad gas, even if it is 92octane. I will add some octane boost, see if that does anything. Might be some water in it, this time of year, with temp changes and condensation, etc.
what is a hotspot?
Old 03-08-2001, 05:46 PM   #4
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Before my mods I ran some high octane boost for the track. Then when i got back to normal driving I just put 89 or 92 back in it and it started spark knocking. I believe it took like 2 or 3 months for the damn thing to quit. I have no idea what caused it.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Cobra Computer, Cobra Transmission, GT40 Ported and Polished Upper and Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, March Underdrive Pulleys, Electric Fan, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, NGK Plugs, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 77mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, High Tolerant Painted Calipers and Drums.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 06:13 PM   #5
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sfedenia:
...what is a hotspot?
A hotpot is when either some material (metal) or a surface of the combustion chamber becomes very hot. This "hotspot" then causes the fuel-air mixture to detonate prematurely causing detonation and knock.

I'm not sure that this is your problem though. It will happen when you are opperating the engine for a long period of time creating a lot of heat. Depends on when your detonation occurs. Now that I think about it, unless it only does it when your engine is very hot it's something else.

Does this make sense? I'm lost...
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 06:35 PM   #6
sfedenia
Registered Member

chaulk it up to bad gas I guess, went to a different station, filled up on Texaco 91 Octane and a bottle of octane boost, and the pinging was gone before I got home. Whey, it is over for now....now, back to 14* !!

[This message has been edited by sfedenia (edited 03-08-2001).]