MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-08-2001, 05:09 PM   #1
Chris_H
Registered Member

Question Flex Fans really that loud?

I hear people saying that their Flex fans are pretty loud. Are they really that loud, and if so, are they woth putting up with? Or should I just get a new Heavy Duty fan? If you read my other post on the water pumps, I can't afford to get a new alternator for the electric fan route. Thanx for any suggestions.

Chris

------------------
1987 LX, rebuilt 306, Mac shorty headers 1 5/8, 2 1/2" Mac off road h-pipe, 2 1/2" 2 Chamber Flowmasters cat-back, Mac underdrive pullies, 3.55, K&N, Tremec 3550, King Cobra Clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax, Autometer gauges, White face gauges, blue silicone radiator hoses.
Best times:
2.331 60ft, 9.966 @ 71.069 1/8 mile, 15.491 @ 91.846 1/4 mile at 4000 ft. elevation on street tires
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 05:25 PM   #2
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Wink

My Flex Fan does make a little noise but it hard to hear over my cam and exhaust, I have never had a problem with it either. I replied about the electric fan set-up in your other topic.

------------------
My Ride Check Out My Site 91GT, Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60",Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes, 2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe, 2 1/2" cat back, 12" K&N Filter, RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air, Ron Davis Radiator, Full Suspension,3:73's, Welds, Best on new motor-12.60 @ 108, no traction 1.98
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 06:03 PM   #3
rtz
Registered Member

Thumbs down

I had one of these metal 10,000 rpm ones and it screamed.

It was supposed to flatten out at high rpm, but I don't think it did very much.

I'm just running the stock plastic fan with a non-thermal clutch on it right now. But the fan has stress cracks at the base of every blade.

If the clutch works right, the fan disengages at high rpm and should not even spin.

I think I'll put the Flex-a-lite back on, and if I think it's too noisy, I'll get another plastic one.

I'd like to get one of these:

But I don't want to spend $200 for it, and I don't look forward to wiring it up.
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 06:15 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Wink

Here's my take, I wouldn't spend another dollar over what I have to on something like that.

I have a flex fan and it's annoying. VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRR. Practically sounds like an S-10 Blazer

Just get a used fan from a junkyard if you need one.

As far as the electric route, I got a G3 alternator for $75 off a 94GT. Add maybe $100 for a set up electric fans off a Mark VIII and a $10 thermal switch and you've just picked up at least 10hp, nicer sound, cleaner engine compartment, and an alternator that will more than make up for the expense. I love my G3 alt. It's one of the best mods I've made.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 07:10 PM   #5
rtz
Registered Member

Question

What wires did you splice that electric fan into?

[This message has been edited by rtz (edited 03-08-2001).]
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 12:37 AM   #6
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

My best friend has a 12 sec stang that has an horrendously loud flex fan. I almost bought him an electric fan just so his car would stop waking my up in the morning when we were roommates.
I have just replaced my stock fan with a "discount auto parts special" flex fan until I get an electric one, and it is way more quiet than my friends.(I can't really hear it at all!!) I guess some are loud and some are not LOL! Good luck!

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.71@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:
www.joe4speed.com
1999 Ninja ZX-6R 10.32@135mph!
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 09:24 AM   #7
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

I just put a flexalite unit in my 90 Notch to replace the totally cracked plastic stock fan. I did not notice a drastic noise increase, or at the least it did not stick out as objectional,but to be fair, the car has not been run that much. I am assuming everyone is getting the proper reverse rotation fans ??

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Stone stock Two Broken T-5's at the Trans shop now. First Mod removed Silencer at 99,614 miles.
74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 apart in garage, getting a 454 to put next to it
www.chevellepages.com/folingo
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 09:52 AM   #8
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

They are really loud when they split in half and go flying around your engine compartment. Check out these shots...

Notice the flex fan is no longer mounted to the engine. It's lodged in the overflow tank.

And here is what it did to the hood...

This car belongs to Mark (AKA stangsrule) and it tore up the radiator, air filter box, hood, and overflow tank as you can see.

------------------
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here

[This message has been edited by 2FastLX (edited 03-09-2001).]
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 12:56 PM   #9
92Rustang
Registered Member

I don't know about on mustangs, but I had one on a big block. I could never hear it in the the car, but my friend always knew it was my coming because of the fan. I did not read your other post,but I have an elecric fan and my stock alt.Everything works great.

------------------
Check my site for mod
www.fordmustanggt.com
92Rustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 01:58 PM   #10
daveGT
Registered Member

I installed the flexfan on my mostly stock '88 GT when my stock fan went out. This is loud - whirling noise. It can be annoying depending on other engine noises and/or exhaust. In my case, my engine is noisy (old), and my exhaust is loud (2 chamber Flows) so the extra fan noise was not all that objectionable.

However, I think that it added the extra power as advertised. No proof, just gut feeling (or wishful thinking)when driving about.

Am working on a replacement engine. See my post on 3/9/01. I need advise from you guys!
daveGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 05:01 PM   #11
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

FWIW the flex fans supposedly do not really add hp compared to a good clutch fan. Car craft did a Dyno test with a Chevy 350 and found the Electric fan was best followed by the 7 blade theromstatic clutch fan, regular clutch fan, bout 10 hp less flex fan, 10 less fixed 4 blade "bus" fan.

I really freaked about the cracked plastic fan, and the only thing I could get right away was the flex fan. Of course 3 weeks later the car aint runnin now so I could have ordered the plastic fan from Ford anyways. I would imagine that finding a good used one without any cracks may be tough Would Crown Vics or Tbirds have the same fan Part#??

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Stone stock Two Broken T-5's at the Trans shop now. First Mod removed Silencer at 99,614 miles.
74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 apart in garage, getting a 454 to put next to it
www.chevellepages.com/folingo
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 07:24 PM   #12
Chris_H
Registered Member

I appreciate all the replies I have gotten from everybody, thanx! I think I will go ahead and get a fan from Performance Parts Inc. and the heavy duty fan clutch also. If these 2 don't work the way I want them to, I will go with the electric fan and see how I like that. Once again, I appreciate all t he replys.

Chris
Old 03-09-2001, 08:01 PM   #13
Thad
Registered Member

Yeah! jl1314 pretty much said it. I've been wanting to get a different type but just slacked. Personaly i wouldn't buy one.
I've been thinking about going to the black magic electric one.

------------------
90 LX 5.0 Not timed in 1/4 mile yet. 135mph max speed, so far.
Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 01:44 AM   #14
stangsrule
Registered Member

Exclamation

After the damage to my car in the above pics from 2FastLX I would caution you to stay away from flex fans!!! Now the Black Magic on the other hand I would highly recomend!!! That is what i am running now and I am very impressed with it... Very well made and the kit is complete; thermostatic stitch, A/C relay, wires, overflow bottle bracket and fan mounting brackets and hardware. I rate it a 10 out of 10! Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

------------------
92GT all the free stuff and a few bolt-ons, lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, etc.
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 05:14 PM   #15
Chris_H
Registered Member

Wink

Changed my mind at the last minute. After hearing everybody say that they have run their Black Magic fan on their stock alternator, and after calling Mustangs Unlimited today and talking with them, I ordered the Black Magic Electric fan. I figured it was about $5 cheaper than the fan and clutch I was looking at, so why not right!? Now all I need is my new water pump and convincing the wife to let me get that aluminum radiator. Once again thanx for the help.

Chris
Old 03-10-2001, 05:49 PM   #16
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Just received my Black Majic fan in the mail this week and I'm really impressed. It was well packaged and it's really light. Came with all the fixins for what "looks" like an easy install. To anyone that has it installed, how loud is it??
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote