MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-23-2001, 08:03 PM   #1
mak375
Registered Member

Default Clear lights

What does everyone think about clear brake lights and turn signals?

too rice?

should i just go with one or the other or can i go both without making my 94 cobra look like a 2001 civic?

i only ask cause i told my friend about it and he said he would not let me because "friends dont let friends drive rice"
mak375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 08:20 PM   #2
dinomite
The Dude

i agree thoroughly with your friend.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 08:39 PM   #3
Five0
Registered Member

I would never do the clear tail lights but the clear corner marker lights look clean. IMO

I do not see anything wrong with them and have them on my car and I hate rice.

See, It does not look bad.
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 10:39 PM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I'm 31 years old and can honestly say if anyone should be against it I should. But, to me it's all a matter of what you want to do. I'd bet that if the ricers hadn't jumped on the idea of using clear tail lights a lot of non-ricers would be.

I mean, just because these kids are doing it doesn't make it bad. People have been modifying cars since cars have been into production and there's always modifications other people aren't going to like. Who cares. It's YOUR car. Do what you want. Why would anyone care what someone else thought about something they did to their car? I sure don't. At least when it comes to appearance that is.

Another thing... Why is it the front corners are ok to clear and not the back? What makes the front of the car so special?
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 10:43 PM   #5
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Forgot to mention... don't get me wrong here. I did the home made clear corner thing on mine and absolutely love it. And I don't particularly like the look of the clear lights in the back of certain cars, but on some colors of paint they do look good. Dark paint jobs they look a little gaudy, but on lighter colored cars I think it's ok.
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 11-23-2001, 11:18 PM   #6
Five0
Registered Member

IMO the clear corners look clean but the clear tail lights look cheap and they really look bad on fox body mustangs.

It was only 10 dollars more on my car for the clear corners but if it were any more I would not have done it.

I like the lx tail lights the best; on any 85 - 93 mustang. JMO
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 12:51 AM   #7
dinomite
The Dude

I don't like clear corners much either, but they aren't so bad. I hate the clear/altezza tail lites. ick.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 07:44 PM   #8
blueneonman1
Registered Member

I painted my bezels black and i think it looks allot better on a white or yellow sn-95 than the body color. I haven't seen that many SN-95s with altezza lights, but I did see one SN with the gen 1 taillights and cut springs...OMG I almost puked. If you want to check out altezzas tho, http://www.procarparts.com has 3 difeerent kinds. Even though I would buy them, I like the Gen2 better.
Blue Streak - '95 5.0L Mustang GT convertible | Saleen heat extractor fiberglass hood | K&N custom CAI | Taylor Spiro Pros | Walbro 255lph pump | Kirban AFPR | MSD Cap/Rotor/Blaster TFI | 2 chamber flows w/ dumps | BBK LTs | BBK short h-pipe | No smog or EGR | NOS 75hp dry kit w/ heater & purge | Battery in trunk| Chassis Eng. subframes | Custom 6-pt rollbar | King Cobra clutch | Steeda adj. clutch cable w/ double hook quad. & firewall adj. | B&M Ripper shifter | FMS C springs | Pro3i C/C plates | Lakewood 70/30 struts | Comp. Eng. 3-way shocks | Chassis Eng. LCAs | Fan switch | 180* thermo FMS| Kumho Ecsta 255/40's all around | Coolest neon lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Don't find yourself in front of me...my brakes SUCK! saving up for a complete Cobra package

Homepage: http://www16.brinkster.com/blueneonman/

Best 1/4 time: 13.5 @ 101
Best 1/8 time: 8.6 @ 84
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 07:46 PM   #9
blueneonman1
Registered Member

Correction to my last post..."I wouldnt buy them". There. Now heres a pic of my black tail lights. If you like it there is nice tutorial on my site about how to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tutorial_taillamps_result.jpg (13.6 KB, 36 views)
Blue Streak - '95 5.0L Mustang GT convertible | Saleen heat extractor fiberglass hood | K&N custom CAI | Taylor Spiro Pros | Walbro 255lph pump | Kirban AFPR | MSD Cap/Rotor/Blaster TFI | 2 chamber flows w/ dumps | BBK LTs | BBK short h-pipe | No smog or EGR | NOS 75hp dry kit w/ heater & purge | Battery in trunk| Chassis Eng. subframes | Custom 6-pt rollbar | King Cobra clutch | Steeda adj. clutch cable w/ double hook quad. & firewall adj. | B&M Ripper shifter | FMS C springs | Pro3i C/C plates | Lakewood 70/30 struts | Comp. Eng. 3-way shocks | Chassis Eng. LCAs | Fan switch | 180* thermo FMS| Kumho Ecsta 255/40's all around | Coolest neon lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Don't find yourself in front of me...my brakes SUCK! saving up for a complete Cobra package

Homepage: http://www16.brinkster.com/blueneonman/

Best 1/4 time: 13.5 @ 101
Best 1/8 time: 8.6 @ 84
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 03:04 AM   #10
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs up

I don't like them, but then again, I have blacked-out taillight, headlight, and foglight covers, which some people can't stand! It's a matter of preference! Do what ya want!
Old 11-25-2001, 11:45 PM   #11
mak375
Registered Member

First i know it is my opinion, but i like to know what other stang owners think.

Secondly, i had blacked out headlights for a while, but i took them off after a while, cause i was pulled over twice for driving with them at night, and taking them on and off was a pain in my @$$.

Thirdly, my car is black so i dont know i thought the contrast of the white/clear and the black would look good. However, i have never seen one so i was asking around to see what the board had to say about it.
mak375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 12:48 AM   #12
XPrinceChipX
Registered Member

Default Can I SEE?

does anyone know where i can find some pics of mustsangs (fox body) with the alteza/clear/smoked tail lights? id like to something w/ mine but i dont want to spend allotta $$$ and then realize i dont like what i bought. i have a 90' black hatch back. and i am thinking alteza lights might look good. like i said i'd like to see what they look like forst though......thx guys.
XPrinceChipX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 03:48 AM   #13
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I think the clear lights look much better on lighter colored cars. For a black car you can't beat smoked lights IMO. They sell the lights already smoked which is what I'd get for a dark car.

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 11-26-2001, 08:17 AM   #14
PKRWUD

I personally don't like clear tail light lenses. Especially on dark colored cars. The first ones I ever saw were on the back of a black S-10 on the freeway. As I was approaching him, I felt sorry for the guy for having both of his taillights broken out. When I got close enough to see what was up, I just started laughing. I have since seen them on cars of all types and of all colors, and the only one I thought was okay was on a silver car (I don't remember the make). They blended nicely and made it look like the car had small round taillights as opposed to large, boxy lenses. On any other color, I think they look silly.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 09:00 AM   #15
jetuomi
Registered Member

OK, my car has clear headlights and clear corners, and I think they look amazing.. (plus, the clear headlights are projectors, which I wanted cause I do a lot of night travelling)

Take a look at my car, and you'll see the clear headlights/corners..
jetuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 12:48 PM   #16
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Default Just clear corners

Matt,

I think that the clear corners would look really clean. I just thought that the clear tailights might look a little ricey, but that's just my opinion.

Besides, if you get that supercharger, everyone will get a good look at the tailights (including me )

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote