MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-03-2001, 05:55 PM   #21
SHaFT7
Registered Member

dang, i'm 21 and only had my 91GT for 6 months, i wish i coulda had a nice cobra when i was 16.....

(had an 88 nissan sentra :P )

------------------
SHaFTed
SHaFT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 08:52 PM   #22
muskrat
Registered Member

Cool

I am one of those "old farts" who drives around in a pristine 65 dodge coronet convertable, but when I want to have "fun" I take my pristine 92 lx notch, that I have owned since new, to the track and rip off a couple of 12.01's at 120. Ask me if its modified. My "old fart" friend has a 93 cobra on juice and we frequently get it on. I might ad that once in a while he wins. So I say do what you want, and by all means have fun!!
muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 03:17 PM   #23
Green92LX
Registered Member

This is way out of hand. I think what the universal vote would be is to modify the SVT under a few conditions:

1) You know what you are doing.

2) They are mods that can easily be changed back to original condition...such as exhaust.

You can't be ripping apart a car that has so much value and respect from so many people without being a little edgy about it. Quantum just seems a little mod-happy here. I agree on the mods, but not full fledge bastardizing of the car. If you can't respect the car for what it is, and not just a car, then you shouldn't have it in your garage.

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 205K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps, cut and welded stock shifter...and it runs like a champ.
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 08:27 PM   #24
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

I guess you guys are really fond of Fox Cobras. Seriously though, it's a car, it's not that great of a car at that. After driving many mustangs and many other fords and mercury's, I would say the only reason I would buy a Mustang, especially a fox body would be to go fast. That is what they are built for. I've said it before and I'll say it millions of times again, Mustangs are built to be cheap and fast. Because that's what's popular. Even the SVTs. Seriously, if anyone has a Mustang that doesn't rattle and squeak as you drive then you've got a rare car, and it should be saved and not modified. But given the fact that this Cobra is his only car, he obviously wants it to go fast, and it's probably not the best car to keep in original condition since original condition isn't that great in the first place, I'd say, hey, you bought it, do what you want with it. And most of all, don't worry about what any of these guys say on here. Cause what do they know, hell what do I know, keep it original if you want. But if you really want to learn about working on cars and this is your only car. By all means, tear it apart!! Just as long as you have fun.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, P&Ped heads, 2.25" custom mandrel bent dual pipes, T5 five speed tranny
15.43 @ 91.08mph (not shabby for a 3600 pound car)
60' 2.453 Street tires suck!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 09:23 PM   #25
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

I resisted long enough time for my $.02. I agree that the 93 Cobra is special and I sure wish I had one at 16 but we aren't all that lucky. I'm 23 and got my first mustang a 67 coupe with a 289 when I was 17 and I traded it in for my current 91 which was bone stock when I got it. I learned alot constantly fixing the 67 and it carried over to the 91. I can do almost everything I need to and it is very gratifing when your at the track blowing the doors off cars that have more motor work and have been done by professional shops, I have a friend that had his car dropped of stock 14.9's and picked up running 12.0's, anybody with a little money can do that.

As for keeping the Cobra stock, here is the approach my dad took with his 93 Cobra. He wanted a stealthy car so he extrude honed the intakes, port/polished the stock heads and added a cam, Pro-M mass air meter, and a Speedbrain computer, it looks stock but runs a lot better. 12.70's @ 107 stock suspension on 9.5" ET STREETS. I say choose your modifications wisely but don't be afraid of it, if you have questions ask, no question is stupid if it helps you out Good Luck and happy wrenching

------------------
My Ride Check Out My Site 91GT, Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60",Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes, 2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe, 2 1/2" cat back, 12" K&N Filter, RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air, Ron Davis Radiator, Full Suspension,3:73's, Welds, Best on new motor-12.60 @ 108, no traction 1.98
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2001, 10:53 PM   #26
93SVTstang
Registered Member

It took me a while to get through all of those posts since I haven't been on here for a while. What I have planned for the biggest mod is putting a cam in it, not sure which one yet. And just doing the other usual stuff such as:MAF, TB, control arms, etc. Nothing major since it is a daily driver. We didn't buy it to make money off of the resale, we bought it to have a moderately fast and kind of rare car to put in shows. I have almost all of the original parts, so a restoration in years to come will be much easier. Hope everyone is happy with my decisions.

------------------
93 Cobra: MAC fenderwell mount cold air, BBK underdrive pulleys, 8mm plug wires, shorty headers, off road h-pipe, Borla Cat-back, centerforce clutch, hurst shifter, 3.55s, and 12* of timing
93SVTstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 01:41 AM   #27
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Hey man, I know I said to modify the thing if you want to, and I still mean that, but if you're gonna show this car, think about it, the guys on this board are the kind of people who are gonna go to car shows. And they all want to see an original 93 SVT car. I'd hate to see you mod it and take it to a show to have people give you a bunch of crap about tearing up a rare car. But, hey, if it were me, I'd mod the hell out of it, take it to the track and kill all these guys with generic old GTs. Go for it man. Just think about the show thing.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, P&Ped heads, 2.25" custom mandrel bent dual pipes, T5 five speed tranny

Old 02-06-2001, 10:54 AM   #28
Green92LX
Registered Member

Hey Quantum, I hate to be the one to say it but I think just about everyones "generic old GT's" on this site will whip you any day of the week. I really don't want to continue this mud-slinging any further, but I stick with my original thought that you are just too mod-happy... Why don't you mod the hell out of your own car and get it out of the 15's....

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 205K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps, cut and welded stock shifter...and it runs like a champ.
Old 02-06-2001, 11:31 AM   #29
spinemup
Registered Member

Talking

lol!
spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 12:19 PM   #30
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Trust me, If I wanted to I could have my car running 10s by now. But like I've said before I have better things to spend money on. And, it's my only car. I have to drive it everyday and that means I need it to be reliable and easy on the gas gauge. The only reason I was telling him to modify the car was because it is obvious that he wants to. And my hole point is, he bought the car, he's paying for it, it's his decision what to do with it. I certainly meant no harm by saying that mustang GTs are generic. Seriously, everywhere you go, all you see are mustangs. I don't see cobras everywhere I go. And let me ask you this. You say your generic old mustangs could whip my *** any day of the week? Would your generic old mustang whip his SVT cobra any day of the week? If he decides to keep it stock you will. So why keep it stock? because basically you told me a car is worthless unless it can kick everyone elses *** . There's more to a car than being fast. But, once again, my entire point is if he wants to mod his car, he should do that. If he wants to show it, he should do that.

"I really don't want to continue this slinging any further, but I stick with my original thought that you are just too mod-happy... Why don't you mod the hell out of your own car and get it out of the 15's...."

Since you're so concerned about my 15 second E/T. I would rather have a nice home to live in, than a faster car. A fast car is not practical. By the way, if you don't want to continue the mud slinging, then why say anything at all.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 02-06-2001, 12:24 PM   #31
Green92LX
Registered Member

Hey Quantum....

You make no sense. You said your car is your ONLY car, right? Well, the SVT is HIS ONLY CAR. You don't mod yours because it has to be "easy on the gas gauge", well I think the same goes for SVT too.

"A fast car is not practical"

I don't get you!!!!!!!

------------------

Old 02-06-2001, 12:26 PM   #32
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

HE WANTS TO MOD HIS CAR, I never said HE wanted his car to be easy on his pocket. Do you assume everyone is the same as you? Not everyone is obsessed with having the best car.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 02-06-2001, 03:21 PM   #33
RobertD
Registered Member

Hack it! Hack it! C'mon, Ford made almost 5,000 of them, thay aren't that rare! My advice....do what you want, it's your car.

------------------
Robert
91GT; 88 ASC McLaren #709
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 04:12 PM   #34
spinemup
Registered Member

thats the problem with performance enthusiats today. you guys don't know the difference between a modification and a hack job.
spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 04:13 PM   #35
Green92LX
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing Rob!!!!!!!!

------------------