MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-07-2002, 10:28 PM   #21
rbatson

Mach1, I would usually give my opinion and if someone disagrees then let them voice their opinion and let the original poster come to their own conclusion. I can't help myself in this one though..

Where I live there is a stop light every block-- block and a half, you get up to speed(about where od will hit) and you have to slow down for the light. I'm not burning anymore gas by staying in 3rd because I can't stay in od long enough to get any benifit from it. Yes, it puts wear on the od by shifting back and forth and you are surely the man to make the call on your car, I will continue to drive mine as I know the situation and the way the car is supposed to be driven.. I know by driving around town in od would cause the need for a rebuilt. You say yourself that od is the weakest link so why in the world would you want to shift back and forth with it every time you go for a ride??

I think you need to rethink your logic on this one.
Old 04-07-2002, 11:22 PM   #22
Mach 1
Registered Member

Yeah, overdrive is usually the first thing to wear out in an AOD. This is true. Does this mean you shouldnt use it? I dont think so, and I explained my reasoning.

The way my car drives, I dont have a problem with excessive shifting. I get up to fourth gear, and when I stop, I start over again in 1st gear. Pretty simple, it works fine, this is the way the car is designed to run, and Im still turning high enough RPMs in 4th gear where I have plenty of power (if not, the car wouldnt shift into 4th gear in the first place) and I have not prematurely wore out my transmission by doing this.
Keep in mind I have a modified transmission with high performance clutches and a non-lockup converter and maybe this is the difference? My car gets into 4th gear quickly (4.10's) and driving around in third would negate the benefit of having an overdrive gear in the first place. If I was that concerned with it, as some of the people here are, I would just get a C4 or a manual.

If you have different circumstances, suit yourself.

I just dont agree with leaving the car in third because of fear of 4th gear burning up. I dont think the AOD's are that fragile to be concerned with it, and I think people who are leaving the car in third gear are overracting to this fear.

Thats my opinion, and my logic is sound. Try it, you might be surprised. Are all you guys still running lock up converters? The more I think about it, the non lock up converter versus the lock up converter could make the driveability of our cars different, and may by why I have different results than others?

Later
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 11:58 PM   #23
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

I'll try this one last time.

I live in a town, like rbatson, that has frequent stoplights and a lot of traffic. If I leave the transmission in OD while driving in town, the tranny will shift into OD at every opportunity it gets...usually around 35 mph. At this speed, OD pulls the revs down low...like around 1500. My power band begins right around or just below 3000 rpm. When the car shifts into OD at this low of an rpm, it puts a heavy load on the motor and gives the sensation that the motor is bogging.

As it is, in this type of traffic, I usually don't have opportunity to cruise at 35+ mph for very long as someone is always slowing down traffic. As soon as I drop my speed, the car shifts back into third gear. Then, when I get a clear lane and step on the accelerator lightly to pick up some more speed, the tranny shifts back into OD at 35mph and bogs the motor. This scenario happens all the time. It's a constant thing here until I get out of town. Thus, on a typical commute, there are many shifts back and forth from OD to third. I choose to leave the car in D to avoid this.

I don't see this as using up much, if any, extra gas, and it doesn't place unneccessary load on the engine. In third gear at the speeds I see in town, I may push 2000-2500 rpm. The engine likes this speed much better than the lower rpm's seen in OD. It is more efficient at these rpms and higher, and as it is more efficient, it decreases the workload felt by the engine. As far as wear, if my engine experiences excessive wear at 2000-2500 rpm, then I've got a problem.

Who knows...maybe I would see a SLIGHT increase in gas mileage by using OD in town. But I would also see increased wear on an OD band that was slipping when I bought the car. Since I have been avoiding OD in town, manually shifting the car into OD once appropriate highway speeds are reached, and manually downshifting into third when decelerating, the slip has abated.

I understand that you have a built transmission, and you have had no problems using OD in town. My transmission has been rebuilt twice (before I bought it) and is stock other than a non lock-up PI converter and a Transgo shift kit which isn't working like it was designed to.

My engine is not a dog; my transmission is a dog. That's why I've spent so much money to make it run like it should. That is why I'm purchasing the Lentech valve body...to correct problems that have been plauging me for a long time. I resent your slight to my engine, and I'll have to ask my car to forgive you as it has very sensitive feelings .

No, I'm not full of BS, and I didn't imply that you were, either. I'm not paranoid or overly scarred. I'm simply doing what I know works and what I have had success with for three years in keeping a tired transmission running. When it goes, I'll get it built right. Until then, I have to be a sparring as possible on the OD.

If you've had success using OD in town...more power to you. I've had succes in not using it. I'm not saying your logic isn't sound. It's as sound as my logic, and I can agree with it. However, on my car, this is what works best. I've tried my best to explain myself, and I don't know what else I can say.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT

Last edited by silver_pilate; 04-08-2002 at 12:05 AM..
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 05:37 AM   #24
Mopar1
Registered Member

I got the same prob silver. I think its the 4.10 gears. Anyway I plan to upgrade to the lentech VB after i finish my current project. Besides Ive never ran OD in the city unless I can stay at 45+ for a while. OD is for the highwaqy
'77 Aspen R/T: 318 w/273 heads, 4spd, Hurst Shifter, 600 holley, edelbrock intake, 8 3/4 axle, 3.23 sure-grip, dual 3" exhaust, MP cam 276 / 276 duration 490 / 490 mech solid lifter, Super Stock Springs
(15.65@88 3900lbs)

'91 Mustang LX: .030 Bored, Typhoon Intake, 4.10's, Lentech VB, BBK 70mm TB, FMS A/C elim bracket, 19lbs inject, off road H-pipe, 75mm pro-m MAF, FRP unequal shorty, stormin normin hood.

3420 Lbs w/ 220 (me) and 13 gal gas.

'02 SS Camaro
Mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote