MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-28-2001, 04:45 PM   #21
84_GT350
Registered Member

It's all simple economics for me. I'd rather spend $20,000 or so for a new stang and then a few thousand extra on performance stuff. Who the hell wants to spend $40,000 on a car anyway...a CHEVY no less? Think what you could do with a Mustang for $40,000 (including the car). And, yes, while stock-for-stock Mustang vs. Corvette races are pretty much in the bag for the Vette, you can always laugh at those pathetic balding middle aged accountants driving them. Hell, ever notice only people over 35 drive them? That's because you have to save up till you're middle aged to afford one! It makes me feel dirty just to think about it. I'm gonna take a shower now.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 04:52 PM   #22
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

So whats the point..

There isn't one and a Mustang is no VW, in case you hadn't noticed.

'Vette lovers know that the 40-large (plus) the Vette costs is what buys the high-12 to low 13-second et's.
The Corvette is a great car and maybe a good buy for the price but the Mustang is a lot more practical and certainly more responsive to low-cost mods that can keep it running with most stock 'Vettes, should the owner want to do so. Many do.

$5,000. (blower and heads plus some suspension work) on any 5.0 will put it in the mid 12's and just a blower on a new 4.6 will usually have it even with a stock "Vette in the quarter. Your results may vary.

Pride in ownership is fine but too many Covette owners think they own the road and all should bow to them and the plastic god they presume to worship. Ain't so.
Most Mustang owners respect the Corvette for it's history and cache, as well as it's current real-world performance but we are not awed, just respectful. I believe this respect should cut both ways but often, the 'Vette owners are a bit too impressed with themselves and the presumed uniqueness of the Corvette, to the extent that they get an 'attitude' toward other performance cars that is reflected in sneering comments about the ability of Corvettes to 'run 12's' (rare and usually a 12.9) while claiming that new Mustangs can't run 14's. This sours the whole discussion because it's false and just ego talking.
So it goes; the old 'mine is better than yours' argument. No real point to it all but it keeps the juices flowing and as long as it doesn't get foul or absurd, all in the spirit of healthy competition. I hope.

Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 06:54 PM   #23
5.0 Coupe
Registered Member

MR 5.0 I never would consider a VW a Mustang I used the comparsion as an example.
The Mustang & VW are mass produced cars, they are both made for a mass market. The the ZR1 is not a mass market car and like the Porsche both are a limited high performance car. In stock form the Mustang compared to the ZR1 is not much of a comparsion and the same goes for the VW compared to the Porsche. The aftermarket is really what makes the Mustang able to run circles around most any car on the road if done right, including the ZR1, Porsche, Viper, etc., but that kind of power does not come cheap.

------------------
89 (GR40 Griggs)LX
89 LX Coupe
90 LX Coupe
5.0 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 11:02 PM   #24
gray87GT
Registered Member

Man.....I didn't think this topic would turn into an argument. All I really wanted to know was how many mods it would take to run with a ZR-1. And after being on this site for awhile now it seems like the most important thing to do is hook up, no matter what you have for HP.
gray87GT is offline   Reply With Quote